I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread tension problems
Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2007 12:35PM

I have built a tension device binding the spool with the following details.

all thread rod
metal washer
nylon washer
spool
nylon washer
metal washer
spring
metal washer
nut

I'm having problems with the spool increasing tension as I spool the thread off.
Put another way: Once tension is set and I begin pulling thread off, the spool begins riding up/toward the spring, thus increasing spring tension until the thread finally breaks.

It appears that maybe the metal washer and the end/beginning of the spring get pinched into the all thread rod.

I will be adding teflon washers this week when the store is open and that should help solve the sputter, but in the meantime I have this problem.
I'd appreciate you're input.

Thank you for your time,
~Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread tension problems
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 07, 2007 12:59PM

Mark; I use the same setup as you except the type of metal washer.
I used a conical shaped metal washer off a sheet metal hex head screw , the kind that has the rubber washer under it. ( get rid of the little rubber washer )
One side of the conical shaped metal washer will fit inside the coil spring, holding the washer in place. The other side goes against a plastic / Teflon washer that is against the thread spool.
I don't use a nut. I use a paper clip, the spring loaded binder type, It will stay in place thus constant tension.
I never have a problem with tension changing .

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 07, 2007 01:06PM

Follw Jay's advice! The large paper clips are quicker, easier and don't turn like a nut [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2007 02:09PM

You would be better served, if you used brass washers and a nut or wing nut with a nylon locking ring in it. You should be able to get them at your hardware store. The paper clip is also very good. I use that too.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 07, 2007 04:35PM

If a nut is used - try the one with a locking style insert. Cut your springs to proper length and the locking nut when snugged down will not turn. Also install the spool where the thread is coming off to loosen the nut instead of tighetning with friction.

Picture of paper clip use -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.46.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 07, 2007 05:21PM

I put rubber washers - actually rubber packings for an old-fashioned faucet - in my "drag washers" next to the spool. I think this allows me to apply more tension with less side pressure on the spool.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 07, 2007 07:35PM

The washers I use work better than anything I have tried. The red washer is a saucer shaped plastic washer comes with a little nail in it for nailing up house wrap when building a house , any building supply has them. The rim sets against the thread spool around the outer perimeter of the end of the spool (small spools ). The saucer/ conical shaped metal washer comes on sheet metal screw used for installing metal roofing.
I don't want any metal touching my thread spool, it is plastic against plastic. The white plastic tube is part of a Bic pen, I use that for a spacer when using small spools, although it's unnecessary.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.42.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 07, 2007 09:37PM

Mark, I use pretty much the exact same setup as you and had the same problems. The wingnut always moved. I then switched to spring clips like Mike and Bill have shown and it works perfectly

Date: October 07, 2007 10:11PM

Thanks to all, I modeled mine searching the photos of all on this forum as well as the feed back.

Mike, Bill, and Jay, I like your layout, but i decided to place mine horizontally, like Jay's. I figured out some more clues.

My problems seem to be with large spools. There is some play between the washer and the larger bottom hole of the spool. As the spool turns the washer plays turning the nut and eventually turning it enough to tighten the spool into a lock.

So I'm thinking I need a arbor for the large spools.

But, as suggested, this week I will pick up some brass and teflon washers.

Thank you for your suggestions and time,
~Mark

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2007 10:43AM

Take a piece of dowel and bore a hole in it to fit the post. Then turn down the outside to make a cone that will fit into the larger spool. Make two of these and put one on each end of the spool to hold it centered.

Date: October 08, 2007 10:58AM

Thanks Jim,

That is what I figured I needed to do!

I appreciate all of your responses.

~Mark

Date: October 08, 2007 06:27PM

Perfect arbors for all spool sizes can be found in the water faucet brass washer section of large hardware stores.

Date: October 08, 2007 06:38PM

When she figured out that HER kitchen cutting board was in my shop I was in deep do!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This picture has all kinds of spool tensioners on the same board for multiple use.

Kitchen sink washers for larger spools on the modified Pac Bay Wrapper

Use of self locking nuts for top adjustment -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2007 11:42AM

I had something like that happening when I used springs. I dumped the spring and replaced with a pair of ring magnets where the poles are opposed. With no mecaninical connection between them, there is no tightening of loosening caused by the spool turning now.

Date: October 09, 2007 11:48AM

Thanks, do you where can I purchase ring magnets?

Would Lowes or HD have them?

~Mark

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: October 10, 2007 12:02PM

Mark:

I use a similar setup. I covered the threaded rod with Teflon plumbing tape to smooth out the spool turning.

Setup:
Threaded rod with Teflon tape
Metal washer
nylon washer
spool
nylon washer
metal washer
spring
metal washer
threaded knob
Locking wing nut.

See
[www.rodbuilding.org]
for a couple of images

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: October 10, 2007 12:04PM

Mark:

Ring magnets are available at Lee Valley Tools:

[www.leevalley.com]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster