I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Simple Surf Spirals & Shock Leaders
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: October 05, 2007 10:56AM

I built myself my first conventional surf rod last winter, and was torn about whether to built it traditional or spiral. In the end, because I had such good experiences with spirals on a couple of boat rods, I went with a spiral, and decided on the simple spiral. I set it up, tested it, and it seemed to cast well, though I wasn't 100% sure, because I was just learning how to cast a conventional reel. So I went home and wrapped and finished it.

The rod is a 10-foot, 2-piece, 4-12 ounce bait chucker, and the first time I went to fish with it, I was using a 50-lb mono shock leader. I (stupidly, of course) hadn't used a shocker during test casting, and learned that the simple spiral, which had worked so well without a shock leader, didn't handle the shock leader knot all that great. My bumper guide was a Size 16, as were my running guides and top, but it seemed that the transition from stripper to bumper to 1st-180 guide was just a little bit too sharp, and the shock leader knot was bumping into the guide during casting.

For the time being, I think I've solved my problem. At the suggestion of a wizened old surfcaster, I respooled my Squidder with 80-lb. braid, which has about the same thickness of 20 lb. mono (what I had been using), and therefore provides the same line capacity. The heavy braid eliminates the need for a shock leader, and the casting has improved noticeably.

But I'm still thinking about surf spirals and shock leaders, and I'm wondering if the simple spiral work with shock leader knots. Or do the other spiral methods (like 60, 120, and 180) work better? And are there guys out there who have tried surf spirals, and don't like them?

I'm comfortable with the fact that this problem could be because I screwed up building this, by the way. So don't be afraid to let me have it if you think I deserve it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Simple Surf Spirals & Shock Leaders
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 05, 2007 11:28AM

You may not have screwed-up at all. You might have just short-changed yourself on the length of the shock line. I used to tie my shock leader so that I had about two wraps on the reel when in the casting position. I could sometimes feel the shock not passing through the first two guides when I cast the rod under a good load. Without changing anything except the number of turns of shock leader on the reel spool (now 6 to 8) I never feel the knot pass through the guides. I'm guessing that by increasing the shock leaders length I've delayed the knots passing through the guides until a point that the reel is under less of a load from the initial release. This worked well for me on all of my conventional rods and may be worth a try.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2007 02:55PM

Bruce has given you some great advice. Try his set up and see if that doesn't fix things for you. I've spoken to others that have mentioned the same thing, even on non-spiral rods they feel having a longer shock leader tends to help the casting as well.

The Simple Spiral works well on surf rods, but any surf rod used with a shock leader needs to be test cast in order to determine the best size guides.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 06, 2007 01:18AM

During my experimentations using the spiral knot with long surf rods with shockleaders revealed early on that any guide setup that doesn't provide an almost straight [path to the choker guide(flex point) will cause problems.

Using a heavier line all the way to the sinker will cut down on casting distance. A shockleader allows the use of a lighter line while protexting the general public from damage caused by the premature release of a heavy sinker. A single, solid line can also wears and break. A shockleader knot allows the replacement of the shockleader and knot. This is not speculation: I still have several sinkers in orbit somewhere.

After many casts/combinations, I finally settled on the Q'Quinn Methos which does this.. It doesn't differ in any way from a conventionally wrapped rod, except the absence of rod torque.

I have several spiral wrapped rods being used as we speak that I can't get back which are wrapped with the first guide at 45 degrees then on to the choke. I have also used the first guide at zero(or a tad off) then the second guide at 45 degrees then on to the choker. I try to put a ferrule on the flex point so I can wrap a guide there.

My personal surf rods are all spiral wrapped and have put some large fish on the beach. C2

Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2007 01:51PM

bad thing about power pro is it doesn't stand up to sandbars very well and will start fraying quickly. on my beach reels i use about 300 yards of 30 lb power pro then fill the reel up with mono then add the shock leader. doing it this way almost doubles my line capacity and makes sure the only line that gets anywhere close to a sandbar is the mono which sand doesn't bother anywhere near as much and it does power pro.

can't really help you much with the spiral wrap as i have yet to build a surf rod but will be doing a couple this winter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster