I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new member - first post
Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: October 04, 2007 01:48PM

hello all,

i am obviously new to the boards, and new to rod building. i've been spending the last two weeks reading and reading old posts, reading rodmaker magazine, and watching dvds.

so, here's my first question for the pros. i'm interested in building rods with colored blanks. now from doing the research it seems that tinting permagloss (or diamondite, etc) is much prefered over painting the blanks. now here's the question. if you want to change the color of the blank, you'll have to PG the entire exposed section of the blank. won't this add significant weight to the rod, as opposed to just PG'ing the thread wraps? when blanks are purchased with a "gloss" finished, are these just matte blanks with a coat of gloss added? this would make a matte blank weigh less than a gloss blank? if this is true, if i epoxied the entire exposed section of the blank, it should weigh about the same as a glossed blank direct from the manufacturer...

thanks for the help guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new member - first post
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2007 02:18PM

Not sure I really understand your question. If you wanted to refinish a rod blank, or recolor it, you'd remove the old finish first. So after you've applied the PG you are about back where you started.

There are many finishing systems in use by rod manufacturers today. Most are urethanes, either sprayed or dip finished. They are done in one coat, usually. Not a separate color and then clear coat over that.

It is certainly possible to paint a blank the color you want and then clear coat over it with something. PG will eat up most other finishes, however, so you might have to use a water based spray urethane of some sort.

All these things add weight, so you should make judicious use of them. In the end, if you want to change colors, remove the old color first. That way you have a decent chance of not changing things, weightwise, too much.

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: October 04, 2007 02:49PM

Lance in addition to what Tom said one thing you never mentioned was buying a colored blank to begin with. St Croix sells a couple of different colored blanks, CTS will color just about every color under the rainbow and they are the best rods you could buy for the money. There are others too.

Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 03:28PM

Lance by any chance you would be from Louisiana with a name like Lapeyrouse I would guess if not now your family was at one time or another.

Brent Keever
Building friendships through custom rods

Date: October 04, 2007 03:34PM

yep, i'm from southeast louisiana. bout an hour south of N.O.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2007 03:38PM

Another Coon... from Houma. Well it looks like I lost a customer lol . Lance give me a call if you need any help.

Lance

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: October 04, 2007 03:49PM

Wow just noticed the name. These Jumbalya heads are taking over this board. Before ya know it they will have us all eating craw fish and hanging out at the cat house drinking moonshine:)

Date: October 04, 2007 03:50PM

hey lance! i went by your shop a few times but i must have missed you. then i went to your website to get your number, but it was down!

Date: October 04, 2007 03:54PM

They better watch us Lance D us coonasses just might take over lol. Welcome Lance I live just south of Lafayette but have a camp in Chauvin.

Brent Keever

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 04, 2007 04:11PM

Who dat gonna paint dem blanks!

We may jus en up charterin a buss n Feburayr! Clyde don hav to padle all de wa no mo! Now to git a few ting strait "a" in jamblaya, crawfish one word n we drink Dixie - cat house no coment - sha!

Clyde haz ben wurkin hard!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Go Tigers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2007 04:13PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 05:40PM

I just couldn't pass this post up!

Now I am homesick! I live in Charlotte, NC. A Cajun ex-patriot who always finds time to come home.
I miss friends and family, food I do not miss! BECAUSE I COOK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you guys come to the Carolina's for the show in February be prepared for some very good average food, and I'm trying to be diplomatic. lol.

Bill Stevens, I have reads your comments on numerous threads and suspected you were Cajun. Thanks for confirming and I find your comments intelligent and helpful. Please let me know if you are coming to the show as I would like to meet you!

Thank you for your time, my friends, and welcome to all new members.
~Mark

Date: October 04, 2007 06:08PM

Mark Lance Dupree and I will certainly be at the Show and you will be quite pleased to know that we will arrive with a large supply of the best boudin and cracklins in the world - we will give this to those who visit our booth and appear to be hungry, broke or lost! if you pay close attention you may find me in a Chef's Jacket harassing some of the boiled meat and potato consumers from the Boston/New York area.

Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 06:25PM

I'm looking forward, but don't just limit yourself to harassing the New England "boiled bread snappers", "bagels" for the rest of the country!
I just can't imagine that someone's baking skills are so bad that they decided to "boil their bread"!
That's just to funny!

Whats the name of your business/both?

Guy's I'm just joking, it food is actually OK!!!
But I would starve if I didn't know how to cook.

lol.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2007 07:22PM

PG is thin. Real thin. In fact, when I've tried to put it on thick I made a heck of a mess.

Matte blanks and gloss blanks are both finished. Put PG on a matte blank and you will not be able to tell in a blindfold test.

You seem to be assuming that the coating on a gloss blank is epoxy. It certainly is not the thick epoxy as we lay on thread wraps and such. It is very think. Like PG, and like the clearcoat on cars. Very thin stuff. You coat an entire matte blank in epoxy as you mention, and it will be VERY different than the manufactured gloss version.

So far as I can tell, the only difference between a gloss blank and a matte blank is the shine.

And for changing blank color in minor tints, you can tint PG. But if you really want to color change, look to paints.

Date: October 04, 2007 10:54PM

Dont forget about me Bill I will be there also. Might even bring my big cast iron pot and throw together a jambalaya or a gumbo should be there in Feb. I dont mind cooking a gumbo if there is a place for me to cook it . Bill or Lance D let me know if that would be possible.

Brent Keever

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2007 12:21AM

well i plan on being at the expo in february. i'm looking forward to meeting all of you and sharing rod building/culinary secrets.

let me say this. lance dupre is the reason i'm into rod building. i grew up as a kid (in a candy store) at his shop. his custom tackle was just as fine as his rods are today. he's a @#$%& of a guy and a great rodsmith.

mark, i won't have a booth this year. but the name of the business i'm trying to build will be called "Cavalier Fishing Rods"

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2007 01:19AM

so dave, let me get this straight. since PG is so thin, i could tint it, cover the entire exposed section of the rod blank to achieve my desired color, then use a standard thick epoxy (such as diamondite) to coat the thread wraps?

Date: October 05, 2007 08:28AM

When you see everything that shows up there even a "coonass" will totally forget about cooking! Kirkman even has the food deal covered and a free reception on Saturday night for Rodmaker Subscribers to boot. It ain't gumbo but no one cares when all the "shiney stuff" and the forrest of blanks in on display. How many days have you spent in your life where you forgot to eat? There will be two days in February of 2008 whee it will just not matter! As Brent Keever already knows we will be dealing with Billy @#$%& "cat house" accusation with a large presentation of "Pink Ladies of the Evening"!

PS: Brent do not tip anyone off on the "Pinkys"

Date: October 05, 2007 12:02PM

My lips are sealed Bill I know nothing lol. Cant wait for Feb room is booked already. Is it Feb yet lol. Looking forward to meeting all the people on this board that will be there. Like my signature says Building friendships through custom rods. How true that statement is for me anyway. I have already made a few friends from this hobby.

Brent Keever

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster