I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hello guys and gals need help with this one!!!!
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2007 10:19AM

well let me start off its been ahwile since ive posted computer problems ..went and bought a new one......my better half manages a chain of hall-mark shops and she hired a lady not to long ago that moved up here from down south with her husband.....he loves to fish and hunt and asked if it would be alright to go salmon fishing with us one day.....so we took him and i meet him for the first time both arms are gone from a little below his elbows down .........and he really couldent fish that well with a basic rod and reel.. he made due sticking the butt of the rod below his belt line arm wrapped around the rod.... i know that cant be good on the back moving up and down that much....and i had em run the okuma with a bigger knob on the handle so he could somewhat grip it.........very hard time ........so my ??? is has someone ever built a rod for someone like this i need all the ideas i can get ..........and i know they dont have much money with him not able to work and him getting social security...so i cant get to crazy with the project as most will be out my pocket......experimenting ......any and all help would be appreciated thanks................

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hello guys and gals need help with this one!!!!
Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 10:38AM

I recently ran into a someone with short limbs, admiring my rods he was very impressed with the split grips. He acknowledged problems with conventional equipment...and mentioned how comfortable the split inside his arm pit and the butt behind his shoulder blade, it provided a firmer grasp.

Both of his limbs are less than 12".

~Mark

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 11:02AM

Could you mount some type of a cup to a handle so his limb could slide in to turn the reel handle maybe making it easier?

You could even do the same thing with the rod. Mount a sleeve of sorts on the handle. In essence it would make the rod and extension of his arm.

I used to shoot competitvely and there was a lady who shot an over under. Her left hand had been amputated and she had a leather sleeve mounted to the foreend of the shotgun that she slid her arm into to maintain control and swing the gun.

Date: October 04, 2007 02:47PM

ive thought about the cup deal to or maybe velcro... im trying to bring everything in like hows he going to cast .....he is not used to the great lakes steelhead and salmon down south he said he used a huge closed face reel because it was easy to use and cast.................but a spinning reel is going to be challenging.............

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: October 04, 2007 04:23PM

I ran into something similar after my cousin had a stroke. He lost use of his left arm was detrmined to go fishing again. I was referred to this website and it had a lot of good ideas for his situation. Your situation sounds a bit more challenging with both limbs missing but there are a lot of good ideas here. Does he have any type of prosthetics?

[store.accesstr.com]

Date: October 04, 2007 04:27PM

The third link down on the previous page I posted contains muliple accessories that may work here is a link to that one

[store.accesstr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2007 04:41PM by Scott Youschak.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 04:30PM

That Strong Arm product was exactly what I was thinking of. There was a post somewhere about ideas being stolen... Can I claim that .. nope too late, their website was up first. Dang it!

Date: October 04, 2007 04:39PM

I can't find a picture of it but by the sounds of it the "Bassmatic" company is who you need to talk to,check this link, I found it by googling "Amputee Fishing" there was a few more refrences to articles and products for people in this type of situation

[www.abledata.com]

I think the most frustrating thing that could happen to me is to have an injury that prevented me from fishing.

Date: October 04, 2007 05:31PM

thanks for the info guys and thanks for the links Scott ...i was looking to build something but buying might be a better option.....i dont think he has any prosthetics..and there wouldent be much of one if he did have any ........thanks for the info well be checking in

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster