I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork grips
Posted by: James Henry (---.nwinfo.net)
Date: October 03, 2007 12:36PM

Hi all I need some help. i just turned a cork grip for a two handed rod. My problem is how to fill some lines in the cork. I thought that I was using good cork, have not had this problem before. Thank you all James

Keep your fly in the water

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork grips
Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: October 03, 2007 12:59PM

I take a bunch of fine cork dust saved from the final stages of cork sanding and mix it with some Duco cement or Piobond until it has the consistency of peanut butter. I add a little bit of white poster paint to the mix until the color is about the same shade as the cork on the grip. Then I jam it into the pits on the cork leaving a slightly raised bump. For larger pits I put a little bit of cement in the hole first. This gives it a better bond and less likely to fall out later. The next day I sand down the grip with my finer sand paper until the cork dust patches are flush with the rest of the grip.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 03, 2007 01:07PM

Plastic wood filler in golden oak color

DR

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 03, 2007 02:05PM

I have used cork dust mixed with Titebond III and the plastic wood as Duane stated. Both work. I have had the same problem you describe. After filling the voids. I sand with 220 grit sandpaper.

Ed Smith

Posted by: James Henry (---.nwinfo.net)
Date: October 03, 2007 04:19PM

Thank you for the help I can always get the rigdht answer here.

Keep your fly in the water

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 03, 2007 04:35PM

Ed I thought at times like that you were prone to say just flock it!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 03, 2007 10:08PM

I have done as Rob , Duane and ED and haven't found a method I am happy with. I would like to have some of the stuff the Manufactures use.
Or better yet ,one of you intelligent fellows come up with us a concoction that works good. Bill Stevens, you are a good suspect ! Don't you have a friend that is a Chemist ???????LOL

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 12:03AM

One word BURL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 04, 2007 12:31AM

I have tried a number of things and suggestions from alot of members on this board. I have come up with a process that works very well for me. It also has the added benift of being VERY close to the cork's natural color. As mentioned above, I use "Golden Oak" or "Natural" color Elmers wood filler. I pick out any loose bits still in the hole with a dental pick and then use my compressor at about 20psi to blow any loose dust off the cork and out of the pits I'm trying to fill. I just squirt a bit of the filler out on my spatula and firmly pack the pits, dips, etc. The package says thin filler is ready to sand in 15 minutes or so. After about 5 minutes, I take some 400 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the cork on my lathe while the filler is still a bit soft. The dust from this mixes with the still soft filler and fills in the holes perfectly and since the dust is from the cork I am working with, it matches even better than the straight filler.

I have never had a problem with the cork filler coming out but I will add that I use U-40 cork seal religiously and I'm sure that helps keep everything together down the road.

Just my 2¢.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: October 04, 2007 01:09AM

Try mixing cork dust into Trondak (U-40) Cork Seal. The Seal is made to impregnate cork anyway, so you get a double benefit from doing this.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 05, 2007 12:45AM

Mike , I am convinced. I have stocked up on Burl !!! I hate trashy cork !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster