I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson RX8+ fly blank experiences
Posted by: Michael Pukas (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 04:53PM

I'm writing to hear what experiences people have had w/ these fly rod blanks.

Can anyone coment on how they compare to the big guys' blanks of the same nature? quality of blank ? finnish? Action? Performenace? Weight?

Also, since so many of the big guys have updated their blank technology, is Batson due for an upgrade? just wondering...

Thanks much in advance. mpp

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson RX8+ fly blank experiences
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 05:02PM

They are new blanks the older version was the RX8s.

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr04.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 02, 2007 05:31PM

Personally i use a Batson RX8+ in a 9ft 6in #7 and although it feels a tad heavier in the air during the casting stroke than my sage z axis ,i have more confidence in it because of this extra weight especially when using very fast sinking lines,
It easily handles everything i could ask of it for throwing weighted flies to the extreme,on the other hand it still allows me to fish small size 14 dries on 4lb tippet without snapping fish off.
basically its among the top end blanks and is better than some top end blanks costing a lot more money.

Posted by: Dave Gibson (---.metrocast.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 08:47PM

Mike,
We've used the RX8+ for our high end rods and have had nothing but rave reviews from clients. We specifically like the 9' in 9 or 10 weight for the big stripers we get here in New England

Dave

Great Bay Rod Co.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 09:20PM

I built a 9x9 for a guy and didn't want to give it to him-I wanted to keep it. I would bring this rod to any casting contest and clean house! Second to none!!!

Paul

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.csp-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 10:40PM

Michael,
I won a 9' 5-wt 5-pc Rx8+ at the ICRBE in 2005. Finally got it put together and used it this year. Good casting rod and handles smaoo dries really well. Plus, it does well with heavier nymphs. You will not go wrong with an RX 8+. Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2007 10:42PM

I think you'll find that blanks like this often perform every bit as well as more expensive "name" blanks from other makers.

Posted by: Philip Price (---.cable.ubr05.knor.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 03, 2007 09:12AM

From what i have read today the rx8+ is getting close to the price of a sage z-axis blank. A z-axis kit can be purchased as cheap as $325. 590-4.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 03, 2007 10:32AM

To each their own, Sage isn't selling the Z-Axis as well as they hoped around my area. Some are trying to get the blanks out the door by giving away a low end cork and reelseat, etc. with it. You notice that the list price of the 4 piece Sage is the same as the kit price. The RX8+ is also available as a 5 piece. Anyway you look at it they are still a much better value.

Posted by: Philip Price (---.cable.ubr05.knor.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 03, 2007 11:23AM

Hi I had took the bull by the horns and built my first build on a z-axis 590-4 then after reading a little more on other blanks and the statement by SParton see my other post below this on this forum sites the cost of building a blank in the UK compared to for east. He reckons that any blank that cost more than £45 uk approx $90 us is a getting very high.
production cost should be about $30 cost selling price $90
First posted here
[www.sexyloops.com]
So a blank costing $200 plus is heading way above that.
I am trying to research out my next blank at the right price thats all.
I would like to try the various big names in blanks but living here in the uk adds import costs and handling taxes a factory sage here can sell at over $1000 for a 590-4 z-axis
before i build my next project for my web site
www.graylinghunter.co.uk
i want to be a little more conservative on price for the first time fly fisher without compromising performance.
I like myrpls xps and my z-axis so i am a fast action rod person although i do get pleasure from very light mid flex soft 8 foot 5wts in the right conditions

Posted by: tony ertola (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2007 07:13PM

The hook and hackle hhx blanks are batson 4pc rx8's in a mat black finish and reasonably priced. I build a 9' 8wt for the salt and I love it. Super fast, light and smooth and durable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster