I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Dryer Question
Posted by: kenny_kimura (66.100.97.---)
Date: October 02, 2007 12:03PM

Just a quick question for you experts out there... This is kinda hard to explain so please bear with me. I'm looking for a rod dryer that while the rod is turning, allows you to grab onto the blank to stop the rotation while the motor is still running. Here's the scenario, I'm applying finish on the rod while it's turning and would like to get a little more finish in between the guides towards the tip. Right now, I'd have to turn off my dryer with the guides pointing upwards, apply a little finish, then turn the rod dryer back on. My current rod dryer's on/off switch is next to the butt of the rod and on the longer rods, I'm constantly going from tip to butt, brush to power switch. Does anyone make the rod dryer I'm looking for? I'd prefer a 6rpm or slower rod dryer. Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Dryer Question
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 12:07PM

i just put an on/off switch in between the plug and motor and turn it on and off as needed

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 12:17PM

Mudhole has a holder - clutch; [shop.mudhole.com] it's not real cheap but it should solve your problem.

Date: October 02, 2007 12:36PM

Thank you for the quick responses. It looks like the Flex Coat Slip Clutch is exactly what I'm looking for. Just one more question if I may, does the Flex Coat 6rpm dryer come with the slip clutch or is the slip clutch still a seperate purchase?

Posted by: John Anderson (---.ktc.com)
Date: October 02, 2007 12:36PM

May I add that the rod chuck with a slip clutch that is sold by MudHole is also adjustable for tension. You can adjust it from being a real light touch to stop the turning blank to a tension that would require a firmer grip to stop the turning blank. This feature makes it adaptable to many rod-drying situations.

John Anderson
Flex Coat

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2007 12:39PM

I think the clutch is sold separately. I saw Roger and John demo this a few years back at the ICRBE and it's a very impressive piece of equipment. Anybody that applies finish to their rods while they're on the dryer should seriously consider investing in one.

Date: October 02, 2007 12:43PM

The slip clutch can be purchased separatly or requested to be put on a 6rpm drying motor set up when placing your order. The slip clutch would be an additional charge to the cost of the 6rpm motor set up. MudHole can request this special order from Flex Coat

MudHole is a fine dealer but in fairness to all the fine dealers listed as sponsors to this web site any one of these that sell Flex Coat products can take care or this for you.

John Anderson
Flex Coat

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 02:33PM

Kenny,
The very simple thing to do is to put an off and on switch on a foot pedal on the end of a cord and as you move along the rod, you can move the switch with your foot, so that it is convient to turn off and on. Very easy and simple and inexpensive.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 02:35PM

Another solution to your problem - if you have a power wrapper, is to use your wrapper to put on your finish.
Your wrapper will have a buit in variable speed foot control and it is a breeze to put on finish with the wrapper.
After getting the finish on - move the rod to the slow speed dryer and you are good to go.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2007 02:42PM

Good ideas. Still the problem is once you're chucked up to anything, under power you can't stop the motor unless you turn it off, and with a gear reduction motor, you can't spin the rod backwards even when it's stopped.

The answer was indeed in the "slip-clutch" that works somewhat like a bicycle sprocket. Once you see it in action, you just about have to have one.

This is another reason why I'm glad Roger and John will be back at the ICRBE this year. Flex Coat has some very unique tools that you don't see very often and without Roger there to demo them, they don't get shown and builders miss out on some very helpful equipment.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 02:57PM

You're right John, I never thought of the other sponsors. Mudhole was the last place I had remembered seeing it. I'm sure any of the sponsors that sell Flex Coat items would have it in stock. Thanks for the correction.

Date: October 02, 2007 03:22PM

Tom said something that did not come to my mind that is a very good point.

Tom wrote:
"Good ideas. Still the problem is once you're chucked up to anything, under power you can't stop the motor unless you turn it off, and with a gear reduction motor, you can't spin the rod backwards even when it's stopped."

The fact is that with the Flex Coat slip clutch you don't just stop the rotation of the blank, you can spin, by hand, the blank backwards or forward as if it were not attached to a motor. This makes it a very unique attachment and very useful for applying epoxy finish to threads on your rod. For those that might be wondering, the motor continues to turn while you hold the rod from spinning. Hence the name Slip Clutch.

Mark,
I have to think of all the fine dealers that sell our products in fairness to them all.

I hope all rod builders will develop a good relationship with a supplier of their choice. It has been said here that calling a supplier can be as a rewarding experience as building the rod.

John Anderson
Flex Coat

Date: October 02, 2007 03:33PM

Thank you all for the advice. What a great forum! I think the slip-clutch is what I was looking for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster