I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help fixing a finish
Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 02, 2007 03:20AM

My first attempt at using a long (16") wrap is becomming a real headache. My first coat of finish didn't level out the way it should have and left high and low spots. I've put 2 more coats on (total 3) and each coat seemed to help smooth it out as it is not nearly as "bumpy" as it originally was.

I don't know what to do next. Should I apply 4th coat and perhaps a 5th? The wrap is at the butt end of the rod so I don't think it will change the characteristics of the rod except for adding weight, most of which will be behind the reel seat in a part of the blank that dosen't flex much if any.

I've thought about sanding the finish using a sanding block and superfine sandpaper 1500 grit but the last time I tried sanding I didn't really have the kind of success I wanted as I was never able to get the finish I wanted.

I would rather be able to fix what I have as I always have the option of taking everything off and starting over.

I would really like to get feedback if this has happened to others and what they did to fix it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help fixing a finish
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 07:52AM

When you get hills and valleys over butt wraps the only way to fix it is to use a sanding block or girt stick to level. Additional coats on top will not help. It is not necessary to use the fine grit sizes you note. You can start with a 220 stick to leven and maybe finish with a 400 for a short time. It will look all scratched up when you get it level. Do not wipe down with any solvent - simply dust over and blow off loose material. Apply a top coat of finish and take care to remove any excess finish and it will be fine. This will be a realatively easy fix and it should not require you to strip and redo.

Sanding Stix Link

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2007 08:10AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2007 09:23AM

Remember that if you're attempting to cover a long butt wrap (open diamond or chevron) you won't get a level finish. You'll get a finish that mimicks the surface of the wrap, which is high on the centers and low in the areas between centers.

What Bill has recommended is one way to achieve what you want. Or... next time, you can apply finish in the openings of the wrap, let set and apply more until those low areas are filled, and then finish the entire wrap. A lot of trouble in my opinion, but it's one more way to do it.

At this point, I think you're left with sanding. Use a block, of course.

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: October 02, 2007 09:31AM

Tom what a great suggestion! Never thought of that but it's soo simple. At this point I would too sand it down and apply another coat. Bill where do I find those sanding sticks?

Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 02, 2007 10:35AM

Thanks for the input and suggestions. It looks like sanding is the way to go. I forgot to mention the wrap is a tiger wrap that when completed I hope to post pictures of.

Bill, what is behind the "don't use any solvent, just blow off" isn't this asking for problems? No water, or tak cloth just blow off the dust?

Tom, are the strips you're talking about the same flex strips that used to be used to file the points on a distributor when cars still had points?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2007 11:36AM

Didn't mention "strips" so can't really advise you there.

On the longer, flat wraps, you have to be very careful not to apply too much finish at one time. It's tempting, but you don't want to put on more of the stuff than the finish can support. You should be able to easily block sand the surface very flat and then recoat. Shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.

Just dust off any sanding residue with a soft brush and recoat. Don't wipe the surface with water or alcohol. You don't need a tack rag, either.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 12:04PM

when i have to sand i dust the wrap off with a brush or use a coffee filter....when i do an open wrap i put a few coats on the whole wrap and get it nice and thich and sand everything smooth with 1500g paper and then put on a thin coat and its comes out pretty flat(just have to put on a couple coats so you can fill the holes)

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 02, 2007 08:04PM

A little trick Mike Barkley taught me . When you put the first coat of finish on a butt wrap, put it on with an old credit card. The credit card will squeegee the finish off the high areas and fill the low areas. It appears the finish wants to be the same thickness in the high and low areas. By using a credit card you hamper its ability to do that. Use the credit card on the second coat also. It works for me.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 02, 2007 09:15PM

You can also use plain playing cards. You can cut them to whatever length you need and 52 spatulas cost way less than a buck at any dollar store

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 11:22PM

i definately need to try that

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 03, 2007 01:12AM

Hey ,, a playing card is even better. It's not as stiff ! Thanks Mike.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster