I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

All-time record blunder?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.211.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 01, 2007 11:47PM

I've heard some impressive rod building blunders, but I think I may have topped them all. I had cannibalized a broken fly rod, including a very nice REC reelseat and full wells grip with an extendable threaded fighting butt. I
boiled them off the broken rodand salvaged both. I was building on a 4 section St. Croix SCV 9wt.and I decided belatedly one evening to get a start on the new rod. The internal threaded fighting butt is a bit tricky to work around but I got out the fiberglass mesh tape and the Rod Bond and went to work. The blank was quite slender but I was still surprised how large an arbor I had to build. I glued it up and went to bed.
The next morning I checked out the grip, and after a short examination I discovered I had glued the grip and reel seat to the second section of the rod. Humiliation and despair were followed by more boiling. I eventually got it right, but my self-esteem took an awful beating.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: All-time record blunder?
Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: October 02, 2007 12:58AM

Just about equals finishing the last coat of epoxy, no bubbles, nice and tacky, spinning away, and the putting your sleeve in the biggest wrap or the butt wrap as you walk by.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 02, 2007 01:02AM

Phil,

Too bad you went all that trouble to 'fix' it.

Would have made a nice popper rod for bass fishing in the shorter length.

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: Fred Staley (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 08:24AM

Don't beat your self up too much.

As they say, "been there, done that". I made the same blunder and rod bonded the reel seat onto the 2nd section of a Batson 4 piece 9 foot fly rod I was "rushing" to build. I've since learned to slow down a bit (and double check what I'm doing before it's too permanent). Luckily the great folks at Batson were able to send me another 2nd section (at a very reasonable price) and I then more carefully finished the rod. I later finished the "blundered" 2nd section and can now use the rod in it's full 9 foot version or a shorter 6 3/4 foot version.

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.tacom.army.mil)
Date: October 02, 2007 09:43AM

i was affixing a fly rod grip to a fly rod and i accidently mixed up a quick setting epoxy versus my normal 20 minute or so stuff..... i slid the grip down the rod and it took herculean effort to get it snugged down to meet up with where the reel seat was already installed.... frankly i was shocked that it got there, it took two guys and some quick action to get it slid down. thought for sure we were going to break the blank but it all ended up ok afterall.

and i hear ya about the finish... i also put one of the support stands for my drier right into a nice long wrap.... whoops.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (63.147.73.---)
Date: October 02, 2007 11:03AM

the one i'm most proud of is forgetting to put the phillipson sliding reel seat on the tennessee handle before glueing the two sections together. I was able to get it apart, but i have a huge glue line as a result. Left it the way it was as a reminder to slow down once in a while!

Carrington

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 11:49AM

My biggest blunder was probably thinking I was going to build a couple of rods to "save money". Yeah, right.... Now I give away rods and pile rods that I don't use in the corners... but I don't think I have "saved" any money.

Posted by: Bill Peifer (---.gci.net)
Date: October 03, 2007 04:46PM

Arrrgg! I hid my book Decorative Wraps by Billy Vivona from my kids...now I can't find it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster