I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod dryer problems
Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: September 30, 2007 10:04PM

so I've been helping my manager build a rod last 2 weeks and he finally got it all wrapped and the but wrap finished and it was a truly good quality rod. So we started putting the rod finish on and it was going on pretty good then the rod dryer just quit...

Apparently the gears were slipping which i fixed later but for the time being we had to put it back in the wrapper and he turned it by hand while I fixed the rod dryer . Then I don't know if while i was fixing the dryer the epoxy set up a little too much well then it was all thick and left big humps on the butt wrap and some gaps that wouldn't fill i...to say the least it was frustrating.

I don't know what the problem was whether it was the humidity of the garage or the problems with the dryer or what but it looked like crap this morning a second coat made it better but still some problems on the butt wrap.

have any of you guys had this problem?
do you think it was the humidity or the fact the rod dryer took a crap right in the middle of applying the finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod dryer problems
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2007 10:18PM

Epoxy isn't affected by humidity. You simply put on too much finish at one time.

I always rotate mine by hand - just a flip 180 degrees every 5 to 10 minutes as needed. The finish ends up glass smooth.

Your manager might not have rotated it at the proper intervals but my suspicion is that you simply put on way too much finish at one time. Even a constant rotating dryer can't always handle a rod that has too much finish on it. The excess has to go somewhere.

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.tacom.army.mil)
Date: October 01, 2007 10:24AM

also, due to the complications, maybe the finish was left too long into its pot life and became "globby" for lack of a better term. This could also not let it level as much as it should.

By your words it sounds like there was some rejection of the epoxy in a few spots... this leads me to think contamination. you said you were doing it in a garage, any dust will make it "peak" and not be smooth, and the rejection may be due to airborne contaminants or other...

just throwing my 2 pennies into the ring.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 01, 2007 12:20PM

like tom said epoxy isnt effected by humidity because if it was i would have a really hard time using it(i live in south florida and most times i apply my epoxy the humidity is 90-100%) and like he also said you put it on too thick

i did this a few times before i realised it was because i put it on too thick...now i put it on thin and it comes out great and its also easier to keep the bubbles gone when its real thin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster