I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need thread substitute
Posted by: Bill Colby (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 09:58AM

Two of the three articles I have written on thread techniques have already appeared in Rodmaker. The third is in jeopardy because the thread I use is no longer made and Tom doesn't want to run an article on a technique for which the "parts" to do it with no longer exist.

This is no offense to Tom and I understand his position. So I want to find out if any of the other thread makers out there have anything similar to the old Gudebrod Varigated stuff. If you don't remember the Gudebrod variety, it was two color, mostly black and then a lighter color. I still have the gold, blue, brown, orange, green and a few others. Most probably don't have any of this but I'm sure that somewhere some company is making something that is very close if not exact. If I can find a source we can proceed.

I can put a photo of the actual Gudebrod Varigated up on the photo page if others want to see what I'm talking about.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need thread substitute
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2007 10:34AM

I'm not against running the article, just not much point in publishing a technique that's impossible for anyone to do because the thread needed to do it with is no longer available.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 11:20AM

Mareira's Classic series has many multicolor threads. I have tried some, they are rayon, and do not have the tensil strength that the Polyneon has and I don't know how they would do out in the sun. You might have a look at them and try a test using your technique to see if it works. You might also explore www.syntheticthread.com and see if you can find anything there.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: September 30, 2007 12:05PM

I'd like to see the thread that your talking about, maybe post the photo you are refering to..

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2007 12:09PM

I have several spools of this kind of stuff. Hard to figure out how to use it but I have had some success using it in association with the moire effect. If you dont get it published could you send me some info on how your are using it or make a tutorial for the site for those of us that still have some of it laying around.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 12:17PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

the brown all the way to the left is one thread brown/black...is that what you are looking for? ive never seen the gudebrod variegated thread

Posted by: Rich Gassman (71.237.10.---)
Date: September 30, 2007 01:03PM

Hi Bill, you could try threadart .com . I gave their 40 wt. polyester thread a try and it seems to work great with CP. They have a thread called Color Twist Thread, 40 wt. polyester 1000M Mini-King Spools for $2.50. I had a heck of a time getting some green thread and decided to give thread art a try. I bought seven different color greens, two of the spools may not be any good to use due to being a tad fried. I do like the lighter colors, they seemed to work out great with CP. I plan on trying out more single color thread since 1000M spool is only $1.65. The 40wt. thread is a little smaller than size A rod wrapping thread. Just a thought, have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Rich Gassman (71.237.10.---)
Date: September 30, 2007 01:21PM

Hi, I just noticed that threadart also has a 40wt. polyester thread called Multicolored Thread. It changes color every one or two inches, could come in handy for small trim wraps. Have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 01:28PM

Fred; go to my gallery 2nd page and look at the trim bands on the Baby Dragon Head. That thread is a variegated thread by Coats and Clark as I recall. Gudebrod used to make several. I still have some of the small spools. I used to use it as a signature wrap.

Doc; When I used it, I would pull off and start the trim wrap with the same color. It just made the wrap too long when I got to the tip end of the rod if you wanted the same number of color changes. I finally gave it up.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: September 30, 2007 01:29PM

What happened to my post ?????????????????

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 05:24PM

its up there

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 02, 2007 01:34AM

I have use the Coats & Clark?? TRILOBEL variegated (40 wt poly)and it may be close. Might be what Jim's talking about!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster