I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making your own decals
Posted by: Harold Blair (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 07:31AM

Has anyone here made their own decals using Inkjet Decal Paper From Bel Decal (http://www.beldecal.com/inkjet_decals.cfm#val)?
Harold

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making your own decals
Posted by: Bill Colby (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 09:53AM

There was a great article in a recent Rodmaker issue about making your own labels on an ink jet. But I don't think they went into that type paper or decal material.

Date: September 30, 2007 11:42AM

Bill Colby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a great article in a recent Rodmaker
> issue about making your own labels on an ink jet.
> But I don't think they went into that type paper
> or decal material.

Does anyone know the specific issue? I am a new subscriber to Rodmaker and have received only one issue. Knowing the specific issue will allow me to purchase the back issue.

Thanks,

Harold

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 12:11PM

Look in Library by clicking button above and then load the Excel File which lists contents of all back issues.

Posted by: Tommy Loucks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2007 02:14PM

Yes ! I have used both clear and white decal paper and they are all holding up well. Clear when I want to use the thread color as a background color and the white for every thing else.

Tom

Date: September 30, 2007 03:18PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look in Library by clicking button above and then
> load the Excel File which lists contents of all
> back issues.

Bill: Thanks for the suggestion. However, after downloading the Excel file, I searched for label, ink jet, inkjet, and decal. Found only two references. One in Volume Four, Issue 1 entitled "Using Labels" by a Mr. Sikes and one in Volume Three, Issue 6 entitled "Metallic Colors On Your Ink Jet" by Kirkman. Unfortunately, Volume Four, Issue 1does not have the referenced article on labels (at least on the Volume 4 CD I have (I searched it for "label, sike, decal, etc.). Additionally Volume Three, Issue 6 does not have the referenced article by Kirkman either (I again searched my Volume three CD.) I guess my gray cells are turning black and/or disappearing down the proverbial black hole.

Harold

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 03:32PM

It is in Volume 9 - Issue 3 on page 22. "Custom Labels from your Ink Jet"

Bob
La Pine, OR

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 07:41PM

I have been toying with it a bit. Just the clear inkjet paper. See the 'gift rod' photos I posted recently. The name and title are inkjet waterslides. In that case, acrylic paint handlettering on the waterslide paper.
I've found Krylon Workable Fixatif to be the best sealer to seal the water based ink used when inkjet printing.

Posted by: Sam Stitcher (216.248.169.---)
Date: October 02, 2007 09:01PM

Look at the photos I just posted for the Missileer logo. It was produced on coated label stock using an ink jet printer.
I used Krylon to spray on it before applying it to the rod. Important: you must spray the thin edges. After I applied it to the rod I coated it with color preserver.
The best decals are the ones that you float off of the backer in water. They are what I use for my name on the rods.
Always cut your decals with a SHARP single edge razor. Anything else will stretch the material and you will have rough edges.

Date: October 02, 2007 09:42PM

Thanks guys for the photos and information. Some very nice rods indeed!

Harold

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster