I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Handle & reel seat
Posted by: Richard Fleming (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2007 10:45PM

Panic has set in, i got the handle kit in today and no instructions on how to assemble it. this is coming from a guy thats never seen a fly let alone built one. I am use to spinning and casting reel seats, theres a load of pieces to this'en i got. its a up loc, thers a piece that looks like a button, a reel insert piece that goes next to the cork ans arbor i guess thats what its called. I am totally lost........... Is there any sites i can go to that will explain it tome step by step or if any of you guys know what i am talking about i would apreciate the help again, PANIC, PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Handle & reel seat
Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 29, 2007 11:02PM

Well the first thing you need to do is get Tom's book "Rod Builing Guide everything you need to know" .

It is available both on @#$%& and at amazon.com and probably other places too. You won't go wrong reading that book before you start building your rod. It will save you a lot of backtracking and headaches.

Ray

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 30, 2007 12:45AM

Rich,
Chill a bit and tell us where you got it, discription, so we can figure out what you got. The button goes on the end of the threaded piece, the threaded piece goes on the long side of the insert, the short side gets the collar looking thing. If the collar has a stepped area in it than it fit s inside a recess in the cork grip. If it's just a big flat collar than it just goes against the grip and it shouldn'r have a recessed hole in the end of the cork.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 03:12AM

in the words of douglas adams, Don't Panic.

if you need further help, send me a photo of the pices on a flat surface and i'll try to help you via email.

eric
fresno, ca.
(you can get my email by clicking on my name)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2007 10:32AM

The grip will be reamed, filed or bored to fit the blank. You'll have to do this. In some cases, it will be too big and you'll have to wind thread around the blank to take up the space.

The seat usually consists of an insert, wood or something. Two hoods - one will be fixed and one will be moveable via a nut or two on a threaded barrel. The button is to fill in the barrel on the back of the reel seat.

If it came with arbors or busings, then those would be used to take up the space between the insert and/or barrel and the rod blank.

What type reel seat is this and where did you get the kit?

Posted by: Richard Fleming (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 04:14PM

the kit i bought came from cabelas, it doesn't have a recessed cork grip, so that means that the threads on the reel seat are at the end where the small part of the cork grip meets the reel seat(threads at the top),the lower reel recess is going to be glued up solid and alighned with the rod guides or spine, right?? the piece where the reel sets in (reel recess) is supposed to have a button (butt cap) plug, is it supposed to be epoxyed on the end? if not the one i got will not stay on.
another question, THE SPINE!!!!!!!!!! do i find the spine in each section of the blank or do i find the spine in each individual section????
guys please have faith in me, i will catch on with your help.............
richard

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 04:32PM

Mudhole has Rod Building 101 on their website, it has online video's, and a bunch of other information that may help you out. [shop.mudhole.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster