I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank manufacturers
Posted by: Bill Holsonback (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 05:41AM

How many blank manufacturing plants exist? I am thinking it can not be more than a handful, in comparison to all the different brand name rods on the market.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank manufacturers
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 09:06AM

I'm probably way off on this but in the US I think you have these,

Sage
Loomis
St. Croix
Calstar
Lamiglas
Talon
T&T
Winston
Orvis
All Star
GUSA
Seeker

Probably others that I've never even heard about but these are the ones I'm pretty sure exist. I think there are probably even fewer in the orient but they probably make a ton of blanks for a large number of different companies that end up selling finished rods over here and elsewhere.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 10:09AM

Don't forget about Batson!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 10:25AM

Also C F Burkheimer, Rogue, Steffen Bros., Gatti, CTS and Harrison.

Posted by: John Britt (68.200.47.---)
Date: September 28, 2007 10:33AM

Gator Glass and hopefully Harrington again

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 10:38AM

and Sevier
Dan Craft??

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2007 10:39AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: John Britt (68.200.47.---)
Date: September 28, 2007 11:08AM

Actually Batson ,American Tackle ,Seiver are importers so best to say quite a few plants in the Orient

Date: September 28, 2007 11:28AM

Dan Craft also doesn't make his own.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 11:57AM

I always thought that Gatti blanks were made in Italy.

Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2007 11:57AM

cts is in new zealand if i remember right

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.sub-70-208-99.myvzw.com)
Date: September 28, 2007 01:03PM

Based on the photos on Steffen Bros. website, I'd say his "US blank manufacturing plant" is the garage or basement of Mark's house. And I don't mean that in any way as derrogatory. To the contrary, the guy makes a small number of models and total blanks of extremely high quality. He brings the same passion and careful craftsmanship to the fiberglass and graphite world as the many talented and dedicated craftsmen of the bamboo world. Hats off to Mark and his "manufacturing plant".

We are fortunate to have so many great choices of blank makers to choose from. I'll add that I've rarely had any problems with the blanks that are made in other countries either - I'd say no more problems than with the dometically-made blanks. Just about everything is good to excellent in quality. I guess that's the result of healthy competition.

Date: September 28, 2007 01:46PM

Don't see a restriction in the location of blank manufacturers in the first post.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 02:39PM

shawn storey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cts is in new zealand if i remember right

Kilwell, CTS and CD Systems (and one other) are from New Zealand.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.22.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 03:16PM

An even smaller number of providers of fiber and bonding matrix can probably be identified.

Posted by: Bill Holsonback (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 05:56PM

I see a lot of names there. Do all those listed have there own setups to make all their blanks? What I would like to know (and some companies don't want you to know) how many actually exclusively manufacture their own blanks? I am thinking that a lot of blanks are made to exacting standards to individual companies, but made buy the same parent company? Not trying to stir a pot.. Just curious to know.,, I would like to compare some that are made in the same plant under different names and see how the different "Name brands" from the same plant stack up against each other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2007 05:57PM by Bill Holsonback.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 28, 2007 07:34PM

From Ken Finch's list I see All Star listed...I was under the impression they were no longer in business....they had a fantastic line of blanks
and terrific service....if they are still around please let me know. [Their Indian Logo was out of sight!!!]

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 28, 2007 07:56PM

All Star just sells rods. They built some blanks for Pac Bay and Batson at one time besides their own line. G Loomis and Lamiglas has built blanks and rods for other companies from time to time.

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.sydney.spin.net.au)
Date: September 30, 2007 09:09AM

You forgot ATC Advanced Tubular Composites (Gary Loomis) who are the old Shikari

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 01, 2007 02:53PM

Off the St. Coix website...

"Over the years, there were a variety of goods manufactured that were essential to the development and success of the company. Solid and tubular rod blanks were sold to other companies such as Zebco and Waterking. Private brand rods were created for Orvis, L.L. Bean, Cabela's, South Bend, Cortland and many others. Sundry items such as Department of Natural Resources shocking rods and landing nets, pool cues and marine antennas all contributed to the company's longevity."

Think about dog food. How many companies had to recall their dog food a while back? Seems it was all made by the same company for each different label. I would put money on the fact there are a few blank manufacturers but many more blank brands.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster