I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank and guide selection for saltwater spinning rod
Posted by: James Smith (134.179.104.---)
Date: September 24, 2007 01:06PM

I will be building some new rods this winter with two friends. One of the rods we want to build will be for trips we make each year to the Keys and Bahamas. We want a spinning rod for throwing live crabs to permit. Looking for something that breaks down to three pieces, for line up to 20 (maybe 25 pounds tops) and with enough backbone to fight the fish quickly. The heavier spinning rods we have used are suitable for tarpon fishing, but the heavy lines weights result in a rod that does not throw a crab very well. Since this rod will see salt water action, we are also interested in guides that deal with the corrosion problem well. I realize we could go with titanium framed guides, but those are pricey for a rod used one or two trips a year. I I see mass manufactured rods that sit on the guide's boat all season with little or no care, without guide frame corrosion problems, so there seems there should be a solution other than throwing money at it. Thanks everyone!

J.C. Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank and guide selection for saltwater spinning rod
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 24, 2007 01:27PM

The three piece requirement is going to limit your choices.

Posted by: James Smith (134.179.104.---)
Date: September 24, 2007 01:30PM

Scott, thanks for mentioning that. If we need to go with a 2 piece blank, then that's the way it is.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 01:57PM

If your financial justification removes Fuji Titanium SIC - Amtak Titans then go with Batson natural SS 316. If you have to use a coated frame use black - Do not use chrome, gold or holographic coated frames. While they sit on the unused rack you may find that you do not like the color green.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2007 01:59PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 24, 2007 03:37PM

Wash it all down very well after each trip!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 03:39PM

If 7 ft rods are ok, look at the 3 piece travel blanks in the bass section of the Rainshadow/Forecast catalog to the left. Also the travel series Lamiglas blanks. Lamar Fishing could probably suggest a 3 piece CTS blank in the specifics you need. Then there is the Sage SP 470-3 and 570-3 blanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2007 03:56PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: September 24, 2007 05:10PM

I WOULD GO WITH SPENCER IF 7 FOOT IS OK...THE RAINSHADOW RX7 IC847 3PC....ALONG WITH XVS3TLG SPINNING GUIDES IN THE SS316 STAINLESS STEEL...MIDWEST ROD AND REEL WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SET YOU UP...CALL US FOR PRICING WE WILL TREAT YOU RIGHT IF YOU GET ALL THREE RODS THRU US

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 24, 2007 05:49PM

Haven't fished permit in a while, but if I remember right crab fishing was a light 1/8-1/4 oz weight and a small crab quietly thrown at least 25 ft in front of a working permit. A lighter tip than a IC847 may be better. Andy at Lamar Fishing lives saltwater fishing. CTS also has the saltwater fishing nailed.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2007 06:37PM

Consider a St Croix 3S86MHF2 with Fuji Alconite Guides with Black Chrome Stainless Frames. With a light rinse each trip, it will last you as long as you care to own it.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 07:26PM

The Lamiglas Travel Series may meet your needs.

Here's a link that lists several Lamiglas blanks in a "hopefully" easy to use fashion.

[www.donstacklehawaii.com]

I use alconites on my surf rods and have not had any problems. I always wash down my rods with fresh water after use.

I built the CTS surf rods that I designed and tested with alconites. These guides were subjected to abuse by large shock leader knots and have not failed. I continue to use the prototypes for surf fishing and the alconites serve me well.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Jim Balyszak (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2007 08:50PM

JC was kind enough to post this message as we've been discussing potential 3 pc. saltwater rods. I've got the new Batson catalog and was looking at two of the Forecast spin blanks. I'm leaning towards two blanks, the SB843-3 (7', 3pc., 6-12#) and the SB843-3 (7', 3pc., 10-17#) for throwing crabs at the smaller permit we've had the good furtune to see while stalking tarpon and as double duty rods casting to the smaller fish in the shallows and taking the kids out on the party boats or some light pier / shore fishing.

I'm pretty well set on a 3 pc. rod for travelling and would appreciate any thoughts if you've used these blanks before.

Bill Pulk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
ALONG WITH XVS3TLG
> SPINNING GUIDES IN THE SS316 STAINLESS
> STEEL...

Glad to see you mentioned this particular guide as it was one I had in mind.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: September 26, 2007 12:17AM

Think about a two-piece rod, if you will, in the PacBay 78X series. The lighter end of their Mag Bass line might easily do what you want, but I can't remember whether they have a three-piece offering.

I've also got a couple of rods built just for the fishing you're doing in the Forecast line. Great sticks.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2007 09:50AM

St Croix has some NEW blanks in the 2008 catalog that fit the bill - there are three 7'0" models ... 8-14#, 8-17# and 10-20# plus three 7'6" models ... 8-17#, 10-20# and 12-25#. These are all very reasonably priced SCII Inshore models.

I used to build these blanks before they were discontinued at the end of 2006 and can vouch for their quality, durability and appropriateness in the inshore market. Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle has the new 2008 St Croix catalog in PDF and can forward it to anyone who calls and asks ... I got mine a couple of weeks ago so I could get the jump on ordering for this year.

Jim -

P.S. And a huge THANK YOU to St Croix for bringing these blanks back this year!

Posted by: Jim Balyszak (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2007 11:30AM

Russ and Jim, thanks for your tips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster