I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Alconite Guide as a Tip Top
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 01:22AM

New guy here...
I am building a 9' 4 wt rod for trout fishing, and want to use size 6 Fuji Alconites. I would also like to use one of these for the tip top. Will it be able to stand up to the stress that the tip of a rod goes through? is size 6 an appropriate size for a 4 wt line?
Thanks,

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Alconite Guide as a Tip Top
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 02:09AM

George,
It would work fine, in truth there is very little load on the tip top. Another way to go is the new smaller Batson guides that Custom Tackle is bringing in. AM tack has ceramic flys and tip tops down to a 5 now.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 24, 2007 02:24AM

George,

I've done several light fly rods with the single foot fly type guides wrapped on as the tip top.

I'd think it would be MUCH stronger, from a practical standpoint, than the metal tube mounted ones, and certainly has a better and more solid connection to the blank. No messing with glues and a nice looking thread wrap onto the blank.

I really like the way it looks, everything 'matches', and the line path is straighter as well.

The 'drawbacks', if there are any, is that it takes more time and care to do and it's more difficult to 'redo' if you bust the guide (never happened on any of my rods, but I guess it could happen...).

Just my opinion, of course.

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 24, 2007 03:56AM

It's a fairly common thing with the jetty fishermen who use their rods to pole vault around the rocks. If you can't get a big enough single footed guide, just cut one leg off a double footed guide. I use a 'X' locking wrap which fills the tunnel and make sit more rugged.

One well-known builder writes about bending one foot of a double footed guide back under. I've never tried this, but it would work.. C2

Date: September 24, 2007 01:15PM

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your repsonses! I think I will try to find size 5's from Batson, although I don't see them in their catalogue, or go with 5's from Am Tac. What about Stripping guides? I like the N model from Pac Bay. Does a size 12, then a size 10, with 5's the rest of the way sound reasonable? I want to be able to shoot line when necessary, since I'm not a good enough caster to be able to arealize a lot, especially with the winds we get out here in CO.

Date: September 25, 2007 02:55AM

George,

This is for a 4 wt. rod, correct?

If so, then stick with the single foot alconites for ALL the guides. If you can't bring yourself to use ALL 6s (it works amazingly well for those willing to give it a go), then use one 8, one 7 as a tamer four inches up, then 6s or 5s (if you can find them) for the rest. Remember, the SMALLER the guides, the better the rod will 'shoot' line.

Double foots give you nothing in the way of advantages for a rod such as this. Disadvantages to the doulbe foots are extra work, extra weight, and they look really odd once you get used to the sleek look of an all single foot fly rod....

Just the way I do it, but it works, looks really nice, and performs well. Others do have differing opinions, and really, it IS just a fishing rod....

Good Luck!

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: Robert Hively (---.dynamic.hbci.com)
Date: September 25, 2007 10:38AM

As second to Buddy's comment. (I don't post very often here. Prefer to be outside ...)

Anyway, been crafting rods since 83. Began to use nothing but singles on fly rods in 88 or so.

I ceased using stripper guides on all fly rods about same time, including some 8 to 10 wgts. No problems and way lighter, though I do employ a 3-guide butt-set that I read about in some mag back around 88. Wands are lighter and cast like a dream. Some few rods later, no complaints, no come-backs. I even converted all my rods, but two old HMG Fenwick Fly rods that I use with mono mostly, to same set-up. It is easy and casting is easier and longer...when needed on big water, and it gives a 4 wgt more juice and accuracy.

About 10 years ago I read the Canada anglers make float rods without TTs, using single footer instead. Made sense to me, as I did have a couple guys bring rods in where the TT had loosened due to heat or whatever. Tried it on some long float rods and a couple fly rods and that Canadian method works well, very well, and takes the heat (and flame) out of the equation.

I might add that in the late 80s I began to use what recently became the "Fuji Concept" method of guide selection and placement for spin rods. It just made sense that all those guides sizes were not needed, so I tried it, though Tom's way of measuring was easier (reel axis and table edge way) than how I did it then for spin rods. When making a fly rod I went to 3 to 5 guides sizes, including the single foot stripper, depending on line wgt. (The size of guide run to the rod tip consider size to reduce ice on steel/salmon rods, however.) And I am sure the 3-guide butt-set does have a bearing.

I like to experiment.

All I can say is, "simple is better" and "Life is Good."

Hive

Date: September 25, 2007 10:49AM

Buddy,

What do you mean "it IS just a fishing rod"???!!!"...

I haven't even bought a single part for it yet, but it consumes every moment of my waking consciousness. I can't even remember kids' names. I forgot my anniversary earlier this month. No one else in my home can even get close to the computer when I'm not at work...

I have never built a rod, and I really appreciate all of your help. This will be paired to a reel with a 2-3/4" dia. Is using ALL 5's a good idea, or would you put a stripper in there?

Thanks,

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: September 25, 2007 01:33PM

George,

Just to get some 'terminology' set: The first 'guide' up from the reel on any fly rod is called the stripper, regardless of it's configuration.

Unless things have changed, I haven't seen size 5 Fuji Alconites available. They do make those wonderful (but pricely) SICs in a 5. If you can afford them, use them.

But, check FIRST, that a size 5 guide will pass all your normal connections. Some folks can use some pretty bulky knots, and you want to be sure that everything flows well. I use 6s as running guides on all my rods up to 7 wt. with no troubles. 5s 'should' be fine, but be sure or you won't like the rod much....

I've built a couple of 4 wts. (and even a couple of 6 wts) with ALL 6s, and they cast really well. That being said, it's not all that critical either way.

It's really up to you. If you like the way a slight step down in guide sizes 'look' then use a 7 or 8, then a 6 or 7, and then all your running gudes in 5 or 6. If you want a sleek 'even' look to the guides, then go with all 5s or 6s.

No human will be able to tell the difference between these set ups while fishing it.

I know that all this seems really important, but the truth is, you could bend guides from some paper clips, tape them to a blank with masking tape, use duct tape to attach the reel and build up a handle, and go out and catch LOTS of fish with such a rod. THAT is the 'purpose' of all this work and discussion, to build a rod that will catch fish. ALL the rest of it is just common sense, and of course, pride of craftsmanship (which may be the 'most' important part-I do know that NONE of it matters even a little to the fish).

Good thing I'm not a fish.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Date: September 25, 2007 08:05PM

Buddy, Hive, and everyone else,
Thank you for the helpful comments. I'm going to with all 6's, either Fuji or Batson, probably Batson, just because I'm amazed at how quickly they sent me the catalogue that I requested.
Regards,
George

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 26, 2007 12:26PM

Does anyone have a pic of how to wrap this single foot on the end of the rod?

I have 3.5 ID cermit running guides on the Winston I am working on I am having a hard time finding a 3.5 ID tip top so I am considering using a single foot for the TT but I am not sure how the best way is to finish off at the end of the rod. Being a visual guy I need a pic.

Thanks,

Ray

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 26, 2007 12:51PM

Use a Forhan locking wrap and place the guide as close as possible to the end of the tip. When you add finish coat the tip of the blank too.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 26, 2007 02:43PM

Ralph,

Do I need to taper the very tip (last 1/16" or so) up to the guide leg? Or do I just let the very tip end be visible where the wrap ends at the end of the blank?

What I am wondering is how to close off the end of the blank so it looks best.

Thanks,

Ray

Date: September 27, 2007 01:54AM

Check this out:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: September 27, 2007 03:17AM

George (and Ray),

I usually try to get a bit closer to the end of the blank than that.

I want the guide leg to 'seem' to come off the very end of the blank. I leave only enough room for the two locking wraps, so that only about 1 thread width of the blank shows. With a single foot ceramic insert guide, it will look more finished than what was posted in the photo.

When finishing the wrap, I coat the tip end of the blank with the finish and try to taper it onto the top edge of the guide foot. Done correctly, everything looks nicely finished and any open holes are sealed.

If, after you have wrapped the guide, you find that you have more blank showing than you want, you can carefully sand some off with a drum sander in a dremel (you got to REAL careful doing this-slow and sure).

Good Luck!

Buddy Sanders

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster