I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrapping for east coast PB tuna
Posted by: Mike Garone (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 05:18PM

I am planning on building myself a new tuna rod for fishing the party boats out of NJ. This rod will be built on a Seeker Extreme Series EX6460XXH-6' 50 (80) 130 and paired up to a 2 speed 50 wide avet. I am toying with the idea of doing this rod acid wrapped if I do what guides would you guys suggest (not rollers)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrapping for east coast PB tuna
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 05:57PM

Mike,
If you've never built a stand-up rod I suggest you order the RMM
back issue volume 5 issue 6. There is a good article in that
issue that tells you all you need to know about stand-ups.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mike Garone (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 06:32PM

I have built standup rods before. I just have never built one acid or spiral wrapped. On the rods I have built before I prefered the Turbo style guides, but I have a feeling that these are not the best suited for this application.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 22, 2007 07:26PM

No reason they wouldn't work fine. There is no difference in the load put on the guides.

Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 07:42PM

A few days ago, off of Cape Cod, I was pulling in a 50" tuna with a #30 Penn International reel and 50lb line and a someone's tuna rod. I showed the men on the boat the guides as the fish held tight, that the tip and guides were practically twisted 90 degrees. My concern at that moment was not the line, but the possiblity of the rod breaking. I think the spiral wrap would have been the way to go at that moment. I have built several spiral wraps and find they work well in that situation, at least, I don't feel the tremendous pull and twisting of the rod. We can all argue back and forth about this, but a conventional rod has a greater possiblity of breaking with what I experienced. The spiral wrap also would have prevented a good deal of the torquing which pulled me around using stand up equipment such as the harness and belt. We did get the fish in the boat,however.
Sanford Hochman

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: September 23, 2007 10:59PM

Whatever guide design you want to use is fine, for several reasons: (1) there's no effect on casting because the line has already had to go through a stripper, make the angle through the bumper guide, and then the next angle into the first under-the-rod guide. I would recommend using a lrger under-the-rod first guide to reduce the angle from the bumper guide to that first guide. Basically, this is an upside-down casting rod.

Second, the spiral design does indeed reduce the torque found in a normal casting design. Remembering that folks have been catching really big fish with "classic" layouts for - well, a really long time - this is still an improvement at the point where a heavyweight fish, perhaps larger than the rod rating, strains the rig enough to worry about the rod's survival.

Remember, what I just said is from a team who only build these when requested to do so. We don't build them for the rack because they don't sell, which is the same reason a couple of the major manufacturers pulled them after placing them for a season or two. Same issue as the Diawa in-line rod - those things really work (we have a 9' and a 10' pair of surf sticks) on heavy fish but the average store-type customer won't buy them because the are "different", and also because they cost more.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: September 24, 2007 09:22AM

Go for it. Use SIC guides. I built mine stand up stick using Fuji LBSG single foot heavy duty boat guides. I fish 80# test line with 27# of drag at strike. If single foot guides make you nervous then use HNSGs. I would NOT put USGs, LRSGs or RSGs on the under side of the blank. They don't flex enough.

Posted by: Michael Perillo (206.212.185.---)
Date: September 26, 2007 11:44AM

I JUST SPIRAL WRAPPED A STANDUP ROD FOR SOMEONE USING THE TURBO GUIDES. THE GUY LOVED THE ROD . THE FIRST FISH HE HAD ON THE ROD WAS A 300LB BIGEYE AND THE ROD PERFORMED GREAT.
MIKE

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster