I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides placement vs. spline in spinning rod
Posted by: Alessandro Brunelli (---.5-85.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: September 22, 2007 08:11AM

Where would you put the guides on 6'6'' (light) spinning rod in respect to the spline: on the soft side or on the "harder" - spline side?

Thanks for any help (newbie)!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides placement vs. spline in spinning rod
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2007 08:40AM

I would suggest you do a search in the search section of the web site. You will find many pieces of info that will answer your questions and may even change you opinion of splinning a rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2007 08:40AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: September 22, 2007 08:53AM

I think that is the problem, too much information and I am confused. The rod I am making is a light one (made out of 2 fly fishing blanks), and I intend to fish small size fish. I thought the "soft" side of the blank is ok for placing the guides (more spinning power, smaller sized fish) but I am not so sure anymore about my reasoning. Soft side or spline side? Is there any general purpose side which is used more frequently in case of doubt?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 22, 2007 09:04AM

Alessandro,

This has been heavily debated in the last couple of days!! [www.rodbuilding.org] Personally, I would buid on the straightest axix with the "belly" down and tip up and disregard the spine. Just my opinion

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 11:47AM

Alessandro,

I just sight down the blank and slowly turn the blank, I stop where the blank looks it straightest, mark that, and put my spinning guides on the OPPISITE (180degrees around) side. It's that easy.

DR

Date: September 22, 2007 03:26PM

Thank you! This is it!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2007 03:41PM

The spine is referenced the outside of the curve when the blank has been flexed along its softest axis. The stiffest side, however, is not opposite of that position.

I would do what Mike and Duane recommended and build on the straightest axis (stiffest). Forget the spine.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 22, 2007 10:31PM

I do it like Mike and Duane. Lay the blank in 2 "V" blocks or wrapping stands letting the tip extend way past the 2nd stand. Slowly rotate the blank while watching the tip. When the tip reaches it's highest point, mark the blank on top. Then I put the guides 180 deg from the mark. If it is a 2 piece blank I do the same to each piece. Rotate each piece finding the highest point the tip ends will reach, mark each piece and put the blank together with the marks on the same side. Put the guides 180 deg from the marks. Usually the butt sections are almost perfectly straight on a 2 piece rod.

Forget about the spine. The fish, the rod, nor you will ever notice the difference it would make. Of course that's just my opinion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2007 10:36PM by Jay Hunt.

Date: September 23, 2007 01:53PM

Thank you to all!

It's very simple, easy and well understandable. And sorry again for the redundant question, but the instructions included in the rod kit were only referring to the spline and I was puzzled....

Over and out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster