I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Looking for a specific cork...Help
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 22, 2007 02:07PM

Andy know longer sells his stuff direct but through distributers. His website Lamar, on the left, shows all of his products and has a list of the vendors that carry ity) Bingham, Fishsticks4U and Mudhole that I know of carry it

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 02:10PM

RAy - you seem to know a thing or 2 about turning wood from square stock. Andy sells his line if Exotic Burl in strips, so that it can be made into a square and turned down. Opens up a lot of possibilities not possible to make using cork rings.

Posted by: Capt. Ray Brown (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 22, 2007 02:48PM

ray,
go to fishsticks4u.com.and look at the traditional burl cork rings. I think thats what you are looking for.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 22, 2007 07:32PM

Angler's Workshop, Bingham's, FishSticks4U and others here carry Lamar Fishing products.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dial.mhtc.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 08:52PM

Ray one other that you may want to check would be Jann's netcraft [www.jannsnetcraft.com] . I think the brown may be a little darker than what you have though.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: September 23, 2007 05:22AM

I have also been looking for these particular burl cork rings for a while now.They are very similar to all the natural burl cork rings that most have mentioned,but they look like they are not quite as tightly packed together and have a more swirly pattern to them with a lot less of the really light colored chunks that don't match the coloration of the rest of the ring.

I have natural burl cork rings that I have purchased from several different sources and while they are all very similar to each other,and are all pretty solid and tightly packed rings,they all look different from the ones Ray has posted a picture of.Almost all of the rings I have gathered have numerous very light(almost whitish compared to the rest of the cork) colored,oval shaped chunks in them that kind of ruin the look a bit.

If you look at the picture of the burl cork Ray posted,the 2nd ring in the bottom row has a small but noticeable light colored chunk visible in it.Most of the rings I have,have these very noticeable light pieces all around them,some larger than others.They are usually round to oval shaped and given how light the color is compared to the rest of the cork,they really stand out a lot,ruining the look somewhat(at least in my eyes).When I've turned grips from these rings,I end up getting a grip that has quite a few noticeable light "spots" all over it.I much prefer the look of the burl cork shown in Ray's picture to the ones I have by far.

On another note,has anyone used the burl cork rings from REC?If so,how do the natural colored rings compare in coloration and pattern to the others out there?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster