I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Cap Question
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2007 03:40PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be building a cobia rod for a friend of the family. I found this post of a beautiful cobia rod:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I'm curious, what is the best way to combine the EVA rear grip with this Fuji style rubber mushroom butt cap? Should I just shave the eva down and mount the rubber cap on top of the EVA or do you cut the eva, build up some tape or something directly on the blank and then glue the cap on top of that?

Thanks for the help, Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Cap Question
Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: September 21, 2007 03:43PM

The second method you list is the easiest.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nrflva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2007 03:53PM

Jeff, I like to cut the EVA above where that type of butt cap goes (leaving the blank exposed) and build up the blank with mesh tape, masking tape, or a hard bushing if the diameters are more than 1/4" difference. Just before I install the butt cap (Ido this as the last step) I turn down the EVA to match the diameter of the butt cap. I don't like the EVA under the cap because I've seen them come loose on some factory rods. When the handle is tapered to the cap it gives it a nice finished look. I would post a picture but the last rod I did this way was picked up yesterday. Judging by your previous work, whatever you come up with will look good.

Date: September 21, 2007 05:20PM

Thanks for the kind words, Bruce. I really appreciate it.

I like the idea of a hard bushing. Where can I get something like that ? Similar to the flexcoat reel seat material or harder ? Can it be reemed ?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2007 05:24PM by Jeff Shields.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2007 05:41PM

Definanatly, the second way but instead of cuting the EVA figure out how far up the butt cap will go on the blank, mark the spot and slide the EVA down the blank to this point. To ensure that the EVA does not slide past this point I wrap a few wraps of masking tape at the spot where you want the EVA to slide to and it will block it from going any further. Remove tape when the glue is still wet or it is a PITA.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nrflva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2007 06:13PM

Scott's right, Slide the EVA to the point where the butt cap will mate-up. The last one I did called for a last minute change in butt caps (EVA to rubber) that caused me to have to cut the already installed EVA. My minds shot trying to do a buttwrap with some slippery NCP thread. I pack, it moves, I touch it , it moves, I look at it wrong, it moves. I'm ready to cut the whole thing off and start over. lol.

Date: September 21, 2007 06:55PM

I'm guessing something like this would work ??

[shop.mudhole.com]

Thanks for the info guys, mucho help as usual. Jeff

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 21, 2007 08:31PM

The standard Fuji or Pay Bay brick foam arbors in size 20 will fit the small Fuji mushroom cap perfectly.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 09:40PM

Mesh tape works fine, but you can do an arbor if you like. That mushroom cap looks the same as I just put on a rod I posed pics of a few days ago... mesh tape and epoxy on that one. Made sure the hole in the center of the cap wasn't plugged by epoxy (toothpick) and added a 1/8" neoprene disc (with matching breath hole) that fit in the bottom of the cup. Figured the neoprene added just a bit more shock protection to the end of the blank. Lightly file the inside and outside of the blank's cut bottom to eliminate any sharp edge that might help it cut thru the butt over time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster