I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crossover Rod Challenge Update
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: September 21, 2007 10:15AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

A few entries have been submitted for the Crossover challenge, hopefully guys are working or planning on working on their rods for the end of the year "deadline". I'm almost done with one of my rods, and am still B/O'd on the other blank I ordered, which I need for October 5th & tha doesn't leave me with much time.

I weighed up the finished rod with guides held on with surgical tubing last night, it came in at 2.1oz. Had I left off the butt wraps and shortened the grip a bit, I would have come in in the 1.5 - 1.6oz for a finished rod rated 1/8-1/2oz. All I need is to hang a few fish on it and I'l be happy, hopefully thy won't notice all teh extra weight.

HEre are the entries submitted to date:
Scot Gadsby - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Dave Orr - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Dave Hauser - [www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crossover Rod Challenge Update
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 21, 2007 01:25PM

Thanks for reposting, I thought I missed the deadline......should have mine ready in about a week.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2007 01:42PM

I'm almost done with mine. A few finishing touches that I've yet to decide on and then I'm done. I've learned a whole different side of fishing with this one! Thank you for a challenge that even a newby could participate in.

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: September 21, 2007 02:53PM

thought you were having a cross dressing challenge now bill. Glad to see it's a rod building challlenge. If I have the time i will build a ultra light never done a fw ultra light but would like one to add to my arsenal of personal rods as i already have a ul reel was given too me a couplle of years ago and never used. Perhaps I will send too st croix for a st croix 566ulf will that make me happy? I think thats the model number any way im away from the shop its a st croix 5 5 ft 6 ulta light fast action will that be a good choice?

Posted by: Paul_Schendel (---.kochind.com)
Date: September 21, 2007 03:11PM

Billy B.
Go with a longer blank for your UL per the RM article. You won't be sorry. That extra length not only makes it faster action, it really magnifies the fight of the fish. I'll never go back to the short UL rods.

Posted by: Tim Sullivan (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2007 09:09PM

Just finished applying the last coat of Threadmaster to the guides. Should have pics posted tomorrow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster