I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shikari Specs
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 07:00PM

Does anyone have a Shikari blank list they can email to me? I have a bunch of unknowns coming from Merrick and I want to try to figure out what they are by tip & butt measurements.

Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shikari Specs
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 20, 2007 07:56PM

Bingham's Shikari site still works if you mess with it enough.

Date: September 20, 2007 08:50PM

:) Been there, done that, got totally ticked and went out to shoot the bow. I'll try some more. I keep getting prompted for a password, etc.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 20, 2007 08:54PM

Keep just clicking on "OK" and it will soon submit. LOL. I think I still have it at the house, if you have no luck I'll send it to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2007 08:55PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: September 20, 2007 08:58PM

Got it Spencer! I just kept clicking and finally got what I need. I'm pasting it all into MS Excel so I can tweak it.

Thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2007 09:46PM

You need to be aware that those are not quite "Shikari" blanks. We have been around and around on this and I have to say that I have talked to Shikari and they are adamant that those blanks would never have been sold under the brand name "Shikari."

This is not something I want to get in the middle of, but Shikari did not sell those as "Shikari" brand blanks.

Date: September 20, 2007 11:40PM

Great. Did a search on the subject. Time to get on the phone. I never assumed Merrick would continue to push these after they were made aware of it. They called me twice and told me these were $100 blanks! I ordered about a week ago after the 2nd call, so surely they must have known the origin of the blanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2007 12:03AM by Chuck Mills.

Date: September 21, 2007 09:39AM

The remaining 1st quality Shikari blanks were sold to Lamar, Bingham, Mud Hole and BC Distributing. What was left was deemed "junk" and was headed for the dumpster. This is what folks at Shikari have stated to me. The remaining blanks, the junk blanks, were sold to a gentleman who was plainly told that they were not to be sold as "Shikari" blanks. They did not want these getting out to the public under the Shikari name and possibly damaging the company's reputation (another reason they should not have been sold to begin with - destroying bad blanks is the best course and many companies now do this rather than sell their culls to anyone).

Yes they were made at Shikari. No they are not 1st quality, nor even 2nd quality or "blems." Shikari has stated they were "junk" and were sold as such.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 21, 2007 09:44AM

Thanks Tom. On the bright side - I can return them for a full refund including postage.

Date: September 21, 2007 10:47AM

I confirmed again with Rose this morning - they were sold to a "junk" dealer as "junk." Those were her words.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.229.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2007 11:31AM

Mud Hole has lots of first quality Shikari blanks for sale at greatly reduced prices at:
[shop.mudhole.com]

These are all first quality blanks purchased directly from Shikari. No guessing at what your buying or what you will get. The Shikari model numbers are shown, all the specs are shown, model number, tip size, butt size, length, etc. All blanks come with a 60 day warranty. We have sold out of the SH III but have many of the SH II left at 60% off MSRP - get one today before they are gone for good!

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 21, 2007 08:33PM

Any sponsor that is knowingly fleecing customers won't be around here very long.

Date: September 23, 2007 06:34PM

I'm looking into it.

Anyone else that has inquired about or ordered these and were told that they were 1st quality Shikari blanks please contact me via email. Thanks.

rodmaker@earthlink.net

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.226.---)
Date: September 24, 2007 02:41PM

I bought a bunch of them. I was told they were 1st quality and that they came off of the Shikari machines. I ordered MH 6', 6'6", 7' ........ When I received them, most look ok. However, some are longer than others for the 6'6" rods and the bottoms and tops are ragged. At first I thought some of the tips were broken but I looked in the bottom of the box for pieces and there were none. THen I checked the blanks for telltale cracks in the graphite and again I couldn't find any. I called Merrick about it and they said that this was how they come off of the machines and that they just were not cut down.

I'm just a beginning to get into rodmaking so I don't know what I'm looking at so I don't know if they are junk or not ...... as I said I can see no blemishes or cracks or anything that doesn't look normal to me.

After reading this forum, a called a good rodmaker in my area and I will take them for him to look at. I cannot find any blemishes or stress cracks etc. I also called Merrick again and specifically asked if these were 1st quality blanks because there are different forums that are saying that these were sold to a person as junk. She assured me that these are first quality blanks made by Shikari.

I think I will order a couple of blanks from Mudhole for comparison. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Rick

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 24, 2007 05:14PM

Rick, go back and read the above posts by Tom Kirkman. If you are new you may not know that name. Tom is a highly respected individual. This is his forum and he is the publisher of Rodmaker Magazine.

I was never told that the blanks were not first quality - just that it was a close out special. In fact, I was told that they were $100 blanks. I was not told they were untrimmed. When I called the second time I was told that "whoever said they were junk does not know what they are talking about", and that his "competition" was trying to undermine his sales. I was told that he had receipts saying that they were Shikari blanks. Shikari says they were junk. I think "fleeced" is a generous word.

Date: September 26, 2007 11:36PM

The receipt did not come from Shikari. It came from a third party who misreprensented the blanks. Merrick was informed of this over 30 days ago and knows full well what they have there.

The blanks you receive from Mud Hole, true first quality Shikari's, will be nicely finished and trimmed. You'll easily see the difference.

Date: September 26, 2007 11:37PM

The receipt did not come from Shikari. It came from a third party who misreprensented the blanks. Merrick was informed of this over 30 days ago and knows full well what they have there.

The blanks you receive from Mud Hole, true first quality Shikari's, will be nicely finished and trimmed. You'll easily see the difference.

The term "junk" came from the folks at Shikari. I would think they would know exactly what they are talking about when it comes to their own blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster