I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burnishing
Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2007 12:53AM

Another dumb question.... Do you burnish wraps if they are already tight? I have upset a couple of trim bands while burnishing and had to re-do the wraps... Of course it could be technique... Thanks for your answers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2007 01:21AM by Bill Lane.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burnishing
Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: September 20, 2007 08:09AM

I use a bokin to burnish the wraps I use a back and forth motion. You may want to rub towards the guide when you get to the trim wrap.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: September 20, 2007 12:57PM

Burnish them.

A few years ago I made some color sticks. Made a pair of 1/2" wraps of every color I had on some scrap blank. CP on one of the two wraps then finished them both. I was in a rush and didn't really care how they looked so much. Just wanted them for color reference. After they were finished I got a good glimpse of what the difference between burnishing and not burnishing is like. I always burnish now.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: September 20, 2007 03:14PM

Bill Proper burnishing should be done toward the center of the wrap not toward the ends. This may be what you are talking about as perhaps you loosened the wrap by burnishing toward the end???

Posted by: Bill Lane (165.24.249.---)
Date: September 20, 2007 04:56PM

Thanks Matt for the test results, and Billy and Fred for the advice. Yes, I have been burnishing the whole thing to flatten and keep what's under from peaking through. And yes while working from inside to out, the trim wraps have come loose. I am slow and careful at wrapping them and lose a good 15 minutes work when that happens plus the wraps I cut off because they didn't come out close enough to perfect for me. I was just thinking I could try burnishing before I cut the tag ends off.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: September 21, 2007 06:25PM

If I have single-turn metallic trim inlays, or some such fragile trim wrap, I just burnish right up next to it, but not over it. Even upon close inspection, I've never been able to tell that the metallic (and the few threads around it) weren't burnished.

If you're doing trim bands at the ends of wraps, and you're using two or three turns, you can burnish the main wrap, then put your trim thread on separately, and not burnish it. Again, I only ever really skip the burnishing if I'm dealing with just a few turns of metallics.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 24, 2007 09:18AM

At the end of your post, you mention - cutting the threads.

Many folks use a razor blade to cut their threads after wrapping.

One fellow suggested to me that he uses very fine tipped fly tying scissors.
Since switching to a pair of fly tying scissors for thread cutting; I find that I am doing a much better job - closer trimming and never have to worry about the blade cutting into any previo¨s wrap.

Before switching to a pair of scissors, I did have the misadventure of nicking a thread or two or three so that I was forced to cut off the guide and rewrap. After switching to scissors, I have never had to rewrap a guide due to a thread trimming.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster