I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What do you look for in a Color Preserver?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:02PM

What characteristics in a CP would make you choose one brand over another? Or more directly, what characteristics would your ideal CP have? I'm going to assume the obvious, that you want the colors on the spool to be matched as closely as possible to the thread, OK no duh. How do the following rate on your list, and if I left anything out, please add it:

How easy it is to apply.
How well it saturates the thread when you apply it - do you like seeing teh thread turn completely black ASAP, or do you like when the thread takes a few minutes to darken before coming back to life"?
Do you like using white CP which eventually dries clear, or a clear CP to begin with?
Do you mind if the CP foams up if applied to vigorously?
Does a strange smell make you want to use something else?
Do yo want to have to thin it out of the bottle, or should it be thinned right off the bat?
Do you mind having to clean your brush or thinning with water, or is using alcohol OK?
Drying time - does waiting 20 minutes or 2 hours matter?
In the event of overapplying CP, would you rather have a white haze, crystals, or some other effect left on teh threads - knowing that overapplying is the fault of the user, not the fault of CP.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you look for in a Color Preserver?
Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.andassoc.com)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:06PM

to answer your questions

easy application
doesn't matter when it darkens but i want the real color when its dry
clear to begin with
I do not want it to foam up
smell doesnt matter
it shoudl be ready to apply out of the bottle
cleaning up with alcohol or water doesnt matter
quicker drying time is better
if there was a CP that had no such thing as over applying, that would be good

anything else?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:06PM

My preference is to have a slightly thicker CP which instantly turns teh threads black, this way I knwo where I have applied it and any spots I may have missed are apparant. I prefer a clear CP, putting white on threads just makes my uncomfortable, and if I had a choice between one or the other, all things being equal - I'd go with clear CP every time. I don't mind waiting for CP to dry, I rarely have to wait more than a couple of hours, and in all honesty that is overdoin git but I rather play it safe. I do not like CP foaming up on threads, especially where threads crossover each other as they are sometimes hard to wick off. I prefer a thicker formula, which I can thin myself using alcohol. I wouldn't like using water to thin anything. I tend to not overapply CP, so I don't care one way or the other. Although I have gone to using 2 coats, so I guess I prefer crystals as opposed to a white haze.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:34PM

Joshua Turner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> to answer your questions
>
> easy application
> doesn't matter when it darkens but i want the real
> color when its dry
> clear to begin with
> I do not want it to foam up
> smell doesnt matter
> it shoudl be ready to apply out of the bottle
> cleaning up with alcohol or water doesnt matter
> quicker drying time is better
> if there was a CP that had no such thing as over
> applying, that would be good
>
> DITTO!!!!!!
easy, clear, non-foaming, dont care if it stinks, NO HAZE or crystals!!!!!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:44PM

the only thing that matters to me is that when its dry it looks the same as it does on the spool

i care only about the end result and nothing else matters

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:47PM

I prefer it on the thin side right out of the bottle so that it saturates the thread rather than sits on top. Drying time is not much of a concern. I want it to saturate thoroughly and dry smooth and clear. I would also place consistancy from batch to batch VERY high on the list! Clear is nice but, for me, slightly opaque is fine if it's clear when it's absorbed. I don't like the thick white CP that hides what's beneath it like Elmer's glue. No foam - just quickly soak in/saturate/seal

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2007 09:49PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2007 09:59PM

I don't expect it to perform miracles. Yellow thread over a black blank is not going to be easy for any CP product - you have to be reasonable in what you ask a CP to do. I don't want to have to thin it, nor do I want to have to use solvents to clean my brushes. A decent color retention with good adhesion and flexibility is all I want. If it dries overnight that's good enough.

In other words - Bullard CPX. Everything else is second best and has been for many years now.

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2007 10:07PM

NO FOAM...

Crystals versus haze...but heck I oversaturate now..lol..

overnite to dry is okay.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: September 19, 2007 02:14AM

Thin, gin clear, no bubbles. Completely saturates within 2 coats. When dry, leaves the thread the same color as the spool, or maybe a little brighter.

NO STAINING.

I'm not particularly concerned with drying time, although 24hrs between coats might be a bit much.

In other words, I agree with most everything above. The current crop of stuff I've been using is why I'm moving to mostly NCP threads for my lighter colors.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: September 19, 2007 04:31AM

Tom, who carries Bullard CPX at the left ?
Have you used it with silks?

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: September 19, 2007 07:16AM

I like to be able to use it right out of the bottle, I like a drying time of about an hour. The clearer the better. Saturates in 2 coats. Keeps color retention as close as possible. Doesn't foam up when applied. I like water clean up. Scott

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 19, 2007 07:42AM

In a short squat bottle that will not tip over.

In a camo bottle that can be easily hidden so I can not find it when doing guides.

The one white filler added - the only real use for any CP is on white NCP in prep for a colored Invisiline!

One that will not evaporate in bottle when kept for three years between use.

Rods dressed in black are beautiful!

Jus funnin except the shape of the bottle!

Fishin Gon

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 19, 2007 11:12AM

I really don't care if it's clear or white or whatever, as long as the color comes back to as close to the original as possible, covers and penetrates well, in no more than three coats (no blotching) and does not leave a haze or snow on black thread. I do like to be able to use it right out of the bottle. That is poured out of the bottle into a small cup and I don't think thinning is a good practice.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 19, 2007 11:20AM

I like EASY for everything
I like very thin and something that soaks right in(use hair dryer before applying to thread to heat thread, works great) and like BV turns dark initially.
Clear when dry
Prefer not to foam, worry about bubbles.
I grew up in the sixties, Smell isnt an issue, I only have a few brain cells left anyway.
Thin to start with by still want the ability to thin more if I decide to. Dont care much what the vehicle is. See above.
I usually rig a way to keep my bush in the CP all the time.
Drying time no issue.
On overapplication is guess i prefer white over crystals.

Over all I am not 100% happy with any CP on the market right now. All have pros and cons. MHO In the old days Gudebrod has a CP I liked a lot.

Posted by: Steven Libby (20.132.69.---)
Date: September 19, 2007 12:43PM

In addition to a lot of good points already made above, I like that when I use CP, that 'repairs' seem easier than they do when I dont use CP ; and that I can still get what seems to be a perfectly acceptable finish both cosmetically and functionally and structurally. I guess I'm still uncertain whether this is the CP, the finish, how I applied it, someth other ghost in the machine, or some combination of the components, but I think it plays in the equation somehow. I also dont know if one CP works any differently in this regard than an other. I have a combo that seems to work and I just stick with it for that reason. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2007 01:16PM

How is Andy comming on his new Cp. If its like the new Threadmaster lite it will be great. I am currently using color lock and it seems to fit the bill especially when using it with Threadmaster

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 19, 2007 06:54PM

I like thin CP that soaks right in as it's applied. I don't like having to thin it with water or alcohol so it has to be thin straight from the bottle. 1-2 hours drying time is great. I also hate snowflakes in black thread but don't think there is any alternative yet. I try to not use CP on black thread where I can get away with it. I'm not worried about smell but I hate bubbles/foaming.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 19, 2007 08:08PM

Yo Billy....What your question was and then you answered your own question leads me to think maybe you have found something...
am I right...almost all who answered your question seemed to hit upon the same thing wanted was the old style Gudebrod 811...
Many years ago I used Brilliance from Clemens and also Bullards CP...and now Tom says Bullards CPX is tops. Have you used this CP ???
and if so where do we get it to give it a try ? "E" mail me if you like.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.tycoelectronics.net)
Date: September 21, 2007 12:57AM

Billy,

Thanks for your post. For the past few months I thought I was the only one that was unhappy with the CP that is now available and I was starting to wonder what I was doing different. I've recently started seeing posts of others that are also concerned about the quality of whats available on the market.

What I want is a CP that goes on clear and penetrates right away. The thread should dry to at least the color on the spool, and hopefully have a brighter sheen. Dry in 2 hours or overnight makes no difference to me as long as the end result is good. I could care less about the smell; I've got an old dog that usually lays beside my chair when I'm working and it'll take a lot to overpower him. I don't want it to foam up, I do want it to dry without haze. Water or alcohol cleanup is OK with me. I'd prefer to not have to thin it; one less chance for me to screw it up.

One other thing that I'd like to see is a CP that could be sprayed on; I think that would really be usefull for long butt wraps, etc where you worry about moving the thread around while applying. I've been playing around with some old 811 that I have and a travel size hairspray (non aresol) container that my wife gave me. I have to thin it a lot to get it to spray but in two tests the results have been overall favorable. I just masked off the surrounding area of the reel seat and blank and sprayed while turning until the wraps were lightly misted.

Lastly I'm playing around with Decoupage glue/sealer as CP; a wise man from Brazil ( Jorge) told me that was what he had available as a sealer for a new technique he was working on.

Overall, IMO there's plenty of room for improvement in CP. The Manufacturer that figures it out will own the market.

Walt

Posted by: Andrew Ford (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: September 21, 2007 01:40AM

We have a colour preserver here in Australia called Speed Sealer (thread sealer and filler )
I don't think you guys would have tried it. I will do some test wraps and post the results for you to have a look at it.
I have not used it for many years but it is still available here I do remember that its crystal clear and has a very strong odour like varnish.

If you Google speed thread sealer it comes up under Fuji Australia's website (Frogley's Offshore )

Doc , Jim or Billy if you want a bottle to try for your self's let me know and as long as I can post it to you I will it's only $3-$4 a bottle
but I think buy the smell of it that it would be very flammable and I may not be able to post it but i can always try.
I will keep you all posted on the tests.
I still think out of all the brands i have tried that flexcoat thinned is the best we have.

Regards.

Andrew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2007 08:54AM by Andrew Donaldson.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster