I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Wrapper
Posted by: Justin Morrell (---.co.escambia.fl.us)
Date: September 18, 2007 01:48PM

I have been looking and researching the different wrappers and think I am going to go with the Pac Bay RW-3XL is this a good wrapper? I looked at the Renzetti but the price is a liitle out of range condidering I am just starting out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Wrapper
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 18, 2007 02:11PM

Just an opinion, but I would suggest wrapping by hand until you get a little experience and decide which, if any, power wrapper suits your need. Keep in mind that a power wrapper does NOT help you make a better rod, it only speeds things up a little. I'm not downplaying power wrappers just saying that you might want to wait until you are a little more involved. There are MANY long time builders that prefer hand wrappers. I have a power wrapper and it never gets used for wrapping (I use it for cleaning/sanding grips, etc. on repair jobs) much prefering hand wrapping (I can sit in one place to wrap a whole rod instead of having to move down to every guide. There are pros and cons to each method.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 02:23PM

Mike's advice is solid IMO

Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 02:34PM

I personally started with a power wrapper and can't imagine not having one. I can do an 18" underwrap in about 30 seconds. Saves me tons of time. I have the Pac Bay (can't remember the model #) and it has been great for the year that I have owned it. They also had a deal going where you got a free dryer, which is really another "must have" item IMO as it allows you to work on more than one rod at a time, otherwise while one rod is on the wrapper drying, you are stuck and can't do anything else.

Just my 2 cents, Jeff

Date: September 18, 2007 02:50PM

Jeff,

I agree, they are a definate plus for underwraps. In over 20 years, I haven't done more than a dozen underwraps, so for me, that's not really an advantage. Like I said, Power wrappers are great, BUT.. they don't make a better rod and I'd hate to spend several hundred bucks and find out that rodbuilding isn't for me OR I ended up wishing that I had gotten a different model/type

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 03:35PM

I agree with you, Mike... I would not want him to waste his money on any tool that he may not "need". Although I personally feel that a power wrapper has some great advantages, but once again, as you say, that kind of depends on the types of rods he is building. If all he wants to do is fly rods and lighter rigs then by no means does he need a wrapper. But if he wants to do some extensive butt wraps with underwraps and will be working with larger (longer) guides, etc, then it could be a very useful tool. I've also found that the wrapper assists me greatly in the epoxy application process. I've tried applying at lower rpms and it never works out for me... but you start spinning at 50 - 100 rpms and my finish turns out like glass. Once again, did I "need" the wrapper, no. But it has really worked for me and has allowed me to advance faster in this hobby than without it, IMHO.

Hope I'm not muddying the waters, Justin. Just one opinion of someone who's only been wrapping for a year.
Jeff

Posted by: Justin Morrell (---.co.escambia.fl.us)
Date: September 18, 2007 03:48PM

Thank you for all the quick replies just for reference most of the rods I will be making are used for saltwater fishing Pier rods for sight casting on cobia and king mackeral and inshore fishing for redfish and speckled trout don't know if that makes a difference. I may also make some bottom fishing rods for snapper and grouper later down the road.

Date: September 18, 2007 03:48PM

I agree!! It's a matter of preference. All methods have their place. When I win the Renzetti at the show in Feb, I'll be a happy camper!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Brian Di Carlo (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 03:57PM

Depends on what you build. I only do surf sticks and it is great for underwrapping and fixing etc. All that being said I prefer to wrap by hand. If things get out of control
it is a small matter. When a machine gets out of control........

Posted by: Bill Lane (165.24.249.---)
Date: September 18, 2007 04:45PM

I have the Pac Bay. Being a hobby builder, I don't need to have many options or specialty equiptment. I work on one rod at a time. I use the power wrapper for holding my rods while wrapping, but usually turn them by hand. I sometimes use the power for long runs between trim bands. I find it invaluable for drying rods and have used it to turn the handles on a couple rods. Kind of a one tool does all, not the best for any, and all I really need. I am happy with the purchase, though I did upgrade the chuck later and should have bought it with the upgraded chuck to begin with. Being a tool junkie, I do have lathe envy when I see the Renzetti. Just have to keep reminding myself that I don’t need it. I don't need anything really...I have too many rods and more in the planning. Just can't stop. I need a 12 step meeting!

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 05:19PM

I have a wrapper but I don't use th motor. Bought mine used for under $200 which I thought was a good deal. I do like the rollers on the uprights and the tensioning devices on the wrapper though. Even though I prefer to wrap by hand (since I do mostly small rods) the wrapper has features that I find helpful. The built in dryer is plus for me too.

With any tool there is "need" and "sure makes life nice". I think with most of us what it comes down to is how much "sure makes life nice" we are willing to pay for. In the beginning usually not a lot. Once your hooked, hide the credit card. :-)

Ray

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 07:08PM

Another factor that no one mentioned is how many rods are involved. Sixty to seventy inches of under wraps in a day can make tired old hands ache pretty bad! A wrapper is cheaper and less painfull than steroid shots in the hands.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: September 19, 2007 02:27AM

I basically agree with Mike. If you learn how to do this stuff "by hand" first, then you can see where the power-wrapper can provide an advantage, and where the motor doesn't help. You can also visulaize how sometimes, a slower motor speed can be really useful.

We have PacBay units. Some things we don't like, but those have been discussed on this BBS a lot of times. They aren't enough bother for us to choose something else, though. The good features far outweigh the bad. But Gary, who is an "ace" with thread, is using a PacBay manual "v-block" wrapper and I still have my old Clemens "roller support" unit. Gary started with the manual wrapper and except for underwraps stays with it because he can "feel" the threads.

- hope that helps.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Jim Williams (98.132.112.---)
Date: September 19, 2007 10:45AM

Justin
For beginners I would highly suggest practicing thread wrapping and gluing on a graphite arrow from Wal-Mart for $1.65 approx. I would do this before I try to do it first time ever on an expensive rod blank. I have seen a ka-zillion posts requesting help from fuzzies to graying glue.

Also before spending bunches of money on a power wrapper I would go cheapo to see if I REALLY enjoy doing it or not. I have built one but not totally finished yet. The whole thing from one 4'x12" particle board from Home Depot for $2.98. I think she priced it wrong because normally $3.25 but no big deal. I cut 7/8" off each side of it and a four inch piece as well. Cut it all in half. In other words each piece now 24" long. Mounted the 7/8" pieces on the left over board...one on each side. Made 3 standing pieces with 3 v notches out of the 4" piece with enough over for (4) 4" base plates. Three for stand bases and the fourth a sliding base to mount the thread tensioners on. I will laquer or varnish the finished product. The stands will slide left and right. When I need more than the 24" main unit.....I have the OTHER 24" unit to butt up against it for longer blanks. Oh...forgot the thread tensioner......Victor mouse traps. 2 for 99 cents

Just Fyi
Good Luck

Oh.....nuther thought.....a fellow on FAOL has been building rods, trying them, then selling them. He has a reputation as outstanding quality custom made rods and does custom rods for people. I just bought my second rod from him and asked about his wrapper. HE IS USING A CARDBOARD BOX WITH V NOTCHES!

Just trying to be helpful to you and others who may read this. Other than that I am a real novice. I do not profess to know much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2007 03:13PM by Jim Williams.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2007 02:47PM

When I started wrapping in the early 80's I wrapped on my legs by hand. That got really old FAST, being the rods I wrap are usually 9' and longer. In a couple of months I moved UP to cardboard boxes with V's cut in them. After a few more months I graduated to the FlexCoat hand wrapper which I still have and use for wrapping delicate tip areas. Then in maybe 87' or 88' (around there) I bought a Clemens lathe and have never looked back. I still do some hand wrapping on Butt wraps and starting guide wraps but I use Power wrapping for the rest. I can't picture wrapping without the lathe. And I'm still learning other tricks to use on it every day (slow learner). I'm still on the original motor, even with using it for light duty cork and EVA shaping. Let's see.......comes out to about $25.00 per year I've owned it. Progression seem to be the way, for me at least. Be sure you want to continue wrapping rods and a lathe would be useful. If you decide you don't want to continue wrapping you can sell the lathe at a discounted rate (to me............lol). Aloha.

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 19, 2007 08:37PM

Justin

I come at this from a different perspective then most people on this site, I outwrap for a living. I wrap rods for three different companies and do from 100 to 150 rods a week. There is a learning curve to using power, but once you have it figured out things are much easier. I use power for all types of rods from ultra lite to surf. If I have to turn the rod more than three times I step on my foot peddle. I use a bobbin to hold my spools and my chuck is mounted directly on the shaft of my motor. I also sit in one spot and move my wrapper from guide to guide. I did start out turning the rod by hand but when I learned to use my homemade power wrapper that ended and I never looked back.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2007 08:55PM by Thomas F. Thornhill.

Posted by: Jose Moreno (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 01:51AM

Justin

I started out with v notches on a narrow stand, went to cardboard boxes and then to the CustomWrap power wrapper all in about a month. Search online for a used wrapper (CustomWrap). You'll spend less money, have a great machine that you can upgrade when you want to and if the motor goes out you can pick up a new one for about $60 from Grainger. I bought my used wrapper for $300 and have had it since April. The PacBay is about that much brand new but I found that the CustomWrap had a lot more upgrades available. I liked the CustomWrap so much that I picked up another used wrapper (same model) about two months ago for $175. Check out Angler's Workshop, they are one of the few retailers that carry that line of wrappers. I build saltwater rods and most of the rods that I build are triple wrapped. I use the power wrapping for the underwraps. I like using a lot of inlays so the rest of the time I turn the rod by hand but I think the power is nice to have. If you don't like it you can always sell it to someone else. I don't think you would lose much money, if any at all.

Jose Moreno

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster