I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Boring cork
Posted by: Steve Carter (---.gulp.org)
Date: September 16, 2002 12:22PM

I make up my cork handle parts on a 1/4" stainless steel mandrel and turn them before removing the part for reaming and fitting to the blank. I have all kinds of problems getting the bore to stay perfectly central as I remove quite a bit of material to get some of the parts to fit my blanks. I am tempted to think the residual epoxy in the 1/4" bore is deflecting the reamers &/or drill bits or my natural unskilledness is contributing.

I have a wood lathe, a 3 jaw chuck and a drill chuck. To try to make boring 'idiot-proof' I have have thought it would be better to use the following process:

- Glue the rings onto the mandrel
- When cured, turn the piece to a nominal outside diameter
- Remove from the mandrel
- On the lathe, bore with drill bits until the drill bit is slightly smaller than the blank
- Turn to the finished shape/size and finish
- Final light reaming to fit the blank

I have come up with an idea for using a length of PVC pipe with a slit cut into it and a pipe clamp (or two) to grip and support the cork piece so it can be held securely in the 3-jaw chuck. The drill chuck. mounted into the lathe tail piece, can be used to bore the holes.

I have a couple questions:

- Does this seem reasonable? I will be trying it ...
- What type of drill bits would be best suited to this task?
- What lathe turning speed would create the cleanest bore with the least tearout?

-Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Boring cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: September 16, 2002 12:59PM

There is a much easier way. Bore your rings before gluing them up on the mandrel. If you have a self-centering chuck, or one of the cork boring jigs I outlined in the Sept/Oct '98 issue of RodMaker, it is a snap to bore them to whatever bore you wish.

If you will bore the cork rings to an inside diameter just slightly smaller than the smallest OD of the blank where the grip will reside, you can then turn them to whatever size and shape suits you and then just a few seconds with a hand reamer will yield the proper fit.

You will have to have a few larger mandrels in your quill other than the single 1/4 inch unit you have now. Lamar Reel Seats sells these in just about any size you could want.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2002 05:47PM

Steve and Tom ...
I may have really missed something here. I f you are discussing .25" cork slices that you are mouting on a mandrel then trying to remove ... why not ream each slice to the required outside diameter of the blank, mount them on the blank (epoxy under and contact cement between) put the rod with corks in a compression device (widely available or easy to make out of .25 inch threaded metal rods and wing nuts) allow to cure then finish the grip on the rod. PacBay has a fairly inexpensive rod lathe / dryer combination that works well for shaping hypalon and EVA as well as cork. I've been doing this for years this way - works for me and ensures that there are no cracked cork sections.
Ken

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 16, 2002 06:36PM

Lots of people either don't have a lathe that can handle an entire rod or just don't want to do it that way. I like the ability to make my grips on mandrels in case I make a boo-boo or something or just don't like the way the grip comes out. It also lets me use a small wood lathe that has plenty of power for turning.

I can also make up grips in advance for rods I know I will be building soon, even though I am waiting on the blanks. I'll be outside tomorrow weather permitting and probably will turn about 4 or 5 fly rod grips. I know the specs I need on them and will knock them all out in the same afternoon. Why make a mess 4 or 5 times when you can just make one big mess and do the clean up just one time!

You can make your grips on the blank or on a mandrel. I like the mandrel after having tried it both ways. Just gives me more flexibility.

Posted by: Coach Paul Bagby (---.gnt.com)
Date: September 16, 2002 08:01PM

I use the mandrels and also the cork reamers that John Knight helped me with on a visit that are suggested by Tom. Just E mail Andy and he can fix you right up. The cork reamers that Tom talked about are the quickest way for me. You can ream a cork handle in seconds.
Also, some of us are cautious and will not turn cork on the rod. One slip and you have damaged a rod.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2002 09:10PM

Thanks. I understand where you all are coming from now. And I admit that I too use a small wood lathe (modified with a metal lathe three jaw
chuck) to turn rough "sticks" of hypalon. As you've pointed out it is much better to make one mess and clean up several grips' worth of "dust and disaster" rather than make one grip at a time.
Ken

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: September 17, 2002 09:06AM

Ken,

Fitting the rings to the blank and turning them on the rod is an equally good way to do things. It's just different. As with most things, it has its pros and cons. You do get a perfect fit and therefore a good bond between the blank and each ring, but you also run the risk of some extra work if you should happen to botch the turning job.

I'd say rod builders are split 50/50 on whether they turn their grips on the blank or on a mandrel. For most it comes down to the equipment they have or prefer to work with.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.smithers.bulkley.net)
Date: September 17, 2002 10:39AM

One could say it's whatever one gets used to....the bugaboos of concentricity and positive bonding to the blank were the two big reason I still prefer to laminate direct to the blank. Especially concentricity. My eye did not like offset handles.

I had the local machine shop fabricate my rod lathe for less than the price of 2 Unimat 3 jaw chucks. It's 8 feet long, and will swing 6 inches, but uses a Unimat chuck. I wanted the high swing to be able to get me and the sandpaper close to and under the the chuck. Cork is 1.5" inch swing max. During lathe's lifespan, the rod building industry has made dramatic steps forward...so to start now, with today's mandrels, tools, and knowledge base, it would be a harder call. If the lathe ever wears out........

Most of the rods I do have a total of 26-27 inches of cork, which I found difficult to do on a mandrel. The grip is one long bit of cork, using a sliding reel seat, so the rodster can use the same rod for mooching, float fishing, and spoon casting, by repositioning the seat to suit the fishing style of the day.

Posted by: Steve Carter (---.gulp.org)
Date: September 18, 2002 02:58AM

Thanks for your feedback ... I choose to go the mandrel route because I want my grips to be 'perfect' before I mount them to very expensive blanks. I have tried directly bonding the rings to the blank, but I've messed up once or twice and hate to have to turn the handles down to a size just bigger than the blank and then adhere rings over them. I invariably mark up the reelseat.

Another reason is that I install inlays of composite cork (ala Meiser) into my handles and I use composite cork disks turned down to make buttcaps (I find black rubber buttcaps very ugly). This, for me, makes the use of mandrels more idiot proof. One final reason, is that I like to mount the parts to the rod, tape on the guides and shuffle the reelseat back and forth to ensure a really nice compromise between balance and ergonomics. I suppose this can be done with the direct method ... just personal preference I suppose.

-Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster