I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wood reel seat glue
Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: September 17, 2007 03:41PM

I am turning my own reel seats out of wood and for the inlaying checkerboards out of cocobolo and ebony. I have done many seats but have never done the inlays. I glued up using 5 min. epoxy and let dry for 24 hours. I always predrill before turning and while drilling the heat build up caused the epoxy to melt and the entire checkerboard fell apart. Needless to say very frustrating as there was a considerable amount of time invested in these seets. What did i do wrong? Perhaps titebond III would be a better glue? As far as the drilling goes every time i have glued there is a lot of heat it seems thats just a fact sure i back it off often to let it cool but theres gonna be a lot of heat no matter how slow i go. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wood reel seat glue
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: September 17, 2007 05:27PM

Billy - Did you have the seat epoxied to the inlay when you were drilling? If you did you may want to try drilling the checker and the two halves of the seat separately and then glue or epoxy them together after you drill them. It would give you less chance of heat building up if you did it on three separate pieces instead of trying to drill all the way through at one time. If you’re building up that much heat I'd doubt that titebond would make much difference. You may also want to try a forstner bit at a slower speed and see if that would make any difference as well. If you have any questions don’t be hesitate to contact me. Mark

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2007 06:10PM

Bill;
It’s been a few years since I've done any wood working, But what happened might be a blessing in disguise. If I remember correctly one of those woods has a high oil base to it and requires a specific type of glue to keep from coming apart in the future. I also know a build that uses different kinds of wood for reel seats. He had several come loose from the blank all of the same type of wood not sure which one but I think it is one of the types you're using

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 17, 2007 07:16PM

A freind of mine sells cocobolo humidors and collectors boxes made down south (Tomway Brand) they have to swipe the glue joints with acetone to draw the oils off the surface so glue will adhere and then you need to use a good 24 hour boat building epoxy like (System 3 or West System) not the 5 minute stuff..... also make sure you have a good sanded surface and a tight fit on the joint.

Also backing off on your drill so it does not heat the wood up as much will be a big help as well. The kind of heat it takes to soften even a cheap epoxy is not particularly good on any species of wood. A good pipe briar will stand up to it but with most woods you risk cracking, checking and warpage.

Ray

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2007 09:28PM

Your heat is being generated by the friction between the bit and the inside of the bore. You can greatly reduce this by boring just a little at a time, backing the bit out and clearing the chips and allowing things to cool down. Takes a bit longer, but you'll have better results doing it this way.

Now here's one more tip - if you plan to finish the entire seat insert, go ahead and give that cocobolo a nice alcohol bath for about an hour. Pour it off, and give it another and then allow to completely dry. This will remove most of the resin within the wood which will make it much easier to glue and drill. The color will lighten as the resin comes out, but your finish will put the color right back.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2007 09:47PM

Urethanes like Gorilla Glue are great for use on exotic woods. I think they'll take more heat than most epoxies will without coming undone.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2007 05:56PM

Two things:
1. Have the drill bit properly sharpened and razor sharp.
2. Be sure to undercut the tip of the bit to allow room for wood chip removal.
3. Be sure to use a drill bit that has a very coarse spiral to remove the chips. Do not use a typical metal drill bit, since the spirals are too fine.
4. Drill a bit, back out the bit - clear the chips, and be sure to let the bit cool.

Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 18, 2007 07:25PM

You're getting good advice! Feed the bit very slowly and back out a lot! I use Titebond and have no problems with it separating. Speed generates heat - heat softens glue.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster