I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Float N Fly Blank
Posted by: Richard Fleming (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 10:04AM

Guys what would be a good rod blank to make a FNF Rod, I plan on Smallmouth fishing this winter and would like to build my own, what lure wt. line size etc would you reccomend? since i got into rod building i am no satiified with a rod that you buy, i want one that I build.
Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Float N Fly Blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 10:24AM

Have only done this type fishing once, but a 5 of 6 wt fly rod blank would be my first thought. Wouldn't go any shorter than 8 ft to start I think.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 11:30AM

We do lots of this type fishing here in Tennessee for Smallmouth Bass in the colder months. There are two blanks that St. Croix actually designates as Float-N-Fly blanks. One in SCII and one in SCIII. also as spencer mentioned, fly blanks work great for this. We find that the lighter the line being used, such as 2 and 4 lb., a 5 wt fly blank. If you are using 6 lb., a 6 wt. fly blank. Spencer is also correct about the length, no shorter than 8 ft. We also will use longer rods, if we are fishing a longer amount of line under the float. Most the fellows around here are using 9 ft., because the longer rod makes it easier to cast longer amount of line under the float. You need to use a stationary float. Provides better action to the jig, versus using a slip float. We are a sponser here on the board and would be more than glad to help you set-up this project for you. Also some of the fellows like a 6 wt. blank when they are really chasing bigger Smallmouth. They have jsut a bit more lifting power. If I can be of any help assisting you, just give me a call at 931-684-6164.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: September 15, 2007 12:32PM

I haven't had the nerve to venture into Fly Rod Fishing, I thought that maybe there was a Spinning Rod Blang that would be good for FNF Blank
Richard

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 15, 2007 01:18PM

Richard; I think Bob is talking about building this fly blank as a spinning rod and using 4 or 6 lb mono and a stationary float with a jig. Maybe he will come back in here and verify.

Date: September 15, 2007 03:51PM

I am terribily sorry Bob. I hope I didn't make a fool of myself as I usuall do. I really do apreciate it. Please feel free to make fun of ole' dummy(me)!!
Thanks guy's. I have never built one like that, i may need some tutoring on this one.
Richard

Date: September 15, 2007 04:15PM

Dumb question # 1, would i fix the reel seat like a Fly Rod and fix a fighting Butt or would I amke a regular Spinning Rear Grip and Fore Grip. I will be using a SC III #5 wt Rod blank. #2 do i use Fly Rod Guides or Spinning Guides??
Richard

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 04:52PM

Handle style is usually personal preference. I think you would be most comfortable with a standard style spinning handle, making sure the butt is 10" long at min.. My first choice for any colder weather spinning rod is the traditional Tennessee grip. You could use graphite slip rings, or simply tape the reel to the cork. If you can't find a nice long Tenn. grip, I usually will cut and splice two grips in to one to get in the 15"-20" range.

Marc

Date: September 15, 2007 10:13PM

#2, Guides?? reg. fly rod guides?? I told ya I am really ney to this Fly Rod conversion. I did it with spinning blank, converted it to a casting rod, everbody that uses it loves it. that was anotherone of of the great tip's from you guys on here and yes they walked me all the way thru it.
Richard

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 16, 2007 12:19AM

The blank doesn't know what it's used for, just set it up as per the Library article for spinning rod and have fun with that rod. Since your dunkin' floats I wouldn't get to fancy with the spinning guides as sensitivity isn't an issue.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 16, 2007 12:20AM

Richard, basically, you are just using a fly rod blank to make a spinninnig rod. Remember that a blank is a blank and has no way of knowing what it is being built as. Some fly guys use short U/l spinning blanks to make short stream fly rods and the use of fly blanks to make spinning rods is often done to get a particular action. You build it the same as you would any spinning rod. Have fun and don't feel stupid about asking questions! Ask Away

Spencer, we were typing at the same time!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2007 10:43AM by Mike Barkley.

Date: September 16, 2007 09:03AM

i reall thank you guy's. I will let ya know how they turn out. I am excited about building them, i hardly slept last night trying to figure out grip style, guide placement., how many guides. The wife says i have lost it again. do any of you guys ever do the same?? I guess Fugi concept guides and Tip top and i am leaning towards a Tn handle, i have never made one, i guess thats another challange
Richard

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 17, 2007 02:06PM

This Rainshadow would be a good one as well.
Rod Blank Model # IST1142
Butt cap: SBC20B
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RGS12A-340
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GS17C-B THREADS DOWN
Reel Seat Shim SHIM17SPIN
Foregrip: FG200A-250
Winding Check: BWC09
Hookeeper: BHKS
Tip Top BPLT06R04.5
1st guide from tip top BFLG06
2nd guide from tip top BFLG06
3rd guide from tip top BFLG06
4th guide from tip top BFLG07
5th guide from tip top: BFLG08
6th guide from tip top: BFLG10
7th guide from tip top: BVS3TLG12
8th guide from tip top: BVS3TLG16
9th guide from tip top: BVS3TLG25
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4.5-9.25-14.5-20-25.75-33.75-43.75-55.25-68.5

Date: September 23, 2007 04:50PM

Thanks, thats exactlly what i needed. I will post a oic of it when i get done, again i really thank you guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster