I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eva Rear Grip
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 08:06PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of designing a cobia rod for my brother in law. It's an 8 foot, two piece, Batson blank. I have an EVA rear grip that I got from a vendor (can't remember where) that is almost exactly what I'm looking for, but it's too short and the ID is a little bit large. I want the rear grip to be about 15" long, black EVA, inside ID of approximately 1/2", outside ID a little larger than an inch and then it has a tapered section about an inch long on the butt end that allows you to slide a rubber butt cap on and it fits completely flush with the EVA. I've been looking everywhere for something similar and can't find it. Any ideas ?

I could make my own by shaving the butt end down but it would be so much easier just to buy exactly what I need.

Thanks, Jeff Shields

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eva Rear Grip
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 10:04PM

Jeff; Most all the vendors on the left sell what you are looking for and in the size you need. You will want the ID of the EVA a little smaller than the smallest point on the blank where the rear grip goes. They also sell the but caps in black. You may have to do a little sanding after gluing on the butt cap in order to get a perfect OD match. You can always change the profile to your liking. I think the last I bought came from Mudhole.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 14, 2007 11:23PM

Mudhole has preformed 14 inch eva grips.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 12:28AM

Several of the sponsors offer EVA in a variety of lengths and colors, but all have black.. Many have tenons at the rear to accomodate a "standard" rubber or vinyl butt cap in either a zie 20 or the next size up.

Check out their online catalogs and then call them.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.73.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 01:13AM

Often times, you aren't going to get perfect fits with off the shelf stuff and you will actually have to do a bit of manual labor to build a rod, at least well. Factories assemble parts. Custom builders do a little bit more, or at least should if they try to claim that label.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster