I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tung Oil vs True Oil
Posted by: Robert Egan (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 12:22PM

I have never used Tru-Oil but my best guess is that it is a highly refined boiled linseed oil with a dryer added.

I have used pure Tung Oil (from the Tung tree) for years, refinishing furniture and boats. I have used it on one of my cork handles with good results. It adds depth to burl cork and darkens it somewhat. It does takes days to really dry and not feel sticky to the touch. I like the look and feel once cured.

Can anyone here compare the two materials for me before I go spend more cash on this addiction?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tung Oil vs True Oil
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2007 01:03PM

Tru-Oil is a wiping varnish, a polymerized oil. It dries quickly and hard to the touch. Several coats will build depth and gloss.

Not at all similar to pure tung or other similar oils.

Posted by: Thomas Lyle (---.dsl.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 01:15PM

Tru-Oil is a clear linseed oil based wiping varnish that has been used on things like guiters and gunstocks for years. As a child back in the 50's and 60's I can remenber seeing people using mutiple coats (so times up to 20) of it on gunstocks so the finish looked like clear water that you could put your finger into.
When compared to tung oil it is a lot clearer and dries a lot harder.
Not much use for it in rod building in my opinon, except my be finishing wood reel seat parts and other wood trim.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2007 11:43AM by Thomas Lyle.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 01:31PM

Tru-oil is a good place to drop a little cash. Try it. You will probably like it. Whatever you do, do not believe the directions on the bottle. The secret for me is to put each coat on thin and let it dry between coats. I like the clarity of the finish it produces.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 10:15PM

I like to use Tru-Oil on burl cork. I rub on 1 coat just for a little hi-light, and it soaks in. I do not like it on plain cork. Just my taste I guess.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.73.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 12:45AM

When I use finish on cork or wood, I use Permalyn, which is similar to Tru-Oil, which I've used as well. I've donea few cork grips with Tung oil for comparisons and all I can say is that if you like Tung oil, you'll really like Tru Oil. You can get the same satin look and warmth in one day instead of a week, plus you can go very high gloss if you want to, as mentioned. You also get a very hard shell.

Posted by: Harold Blair (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 07:39PM

Robert: I build a lot of fine furniture and have used all kinds of oils, including tung oil for years.. I like tung oil the best. You can get tung oil to dry quicker if you will thin the first coat about 20% with turpentine. This will allow the thinned oil to penetrate quicker and deeper as well as drying faster. However, it is definitely true that pure tung oil does take longer to dry than other varnish based oils.
Harold

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster