I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alternative to foil for finish/epoxy
Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: September 13, 2007 07:35PM

I just thought I would share a recent tool I picked up that seems to be working well.

When I started I was told to mix my finish and the pour onto a piece of foil and then breath on it to help remove bubbles. I was doing this and it was working fine, but the foil get wrinkles etc...

I was at the tool store adn they have these handy little stainless steel bowls with a magnet on teh bottom for holding nuts and bolts. The manet makes it heavy enought to not tip easily, and it will also stick to your tool box.... I am sure you all know the bowls I am describing......

Well, I picked a small one up and used it the last couple of times for thread finish.....Works great..... I put a small metal tool on one side, so it is tilted and the finish stays towards on side. After I am done applying finish, I pour out any extra on a piece of paper, so I can chech it for dry time etc... and clean out the metal bowl with a little alcohol.....

Just thought I would share..... Maybe it will help someone. I have sure appreciated the advice I received on this board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternative to foil for finish/epoxy
Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 03:00AM

Great idea! I think I'll go and pick one of those up.

Lately, I've been using waxed paper instead of foil and it works very well (no wrinkles).

Walt

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 12:16PM

John; To eliminate wrinkles in the foil I place the foil , shiny side up, in a small saucer with a smooth rounded bottom. Smooth it out with a wadded up paper towel, I think the theory behind using foil is to extend the working time a little and spreading out the finish will assist the little bubbles in coming to the surface. I then take a soda straw and gently blow the bubbles away. I would be hesitant about pouring the finish out on anything but foil due to the possibility of contamination. The reason for placing the foil shiny side up is also to eliminate the possibility of contamination. During the foil manufacturing process the dull side of the foil is the side that is in contact with the rollers,thus the possibility of contamination.

Date: September 14, 2007 12:27PM

Jay Hunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John; To eliminate wrinkles in the foil I place
> the foil , shiny side up, in a small saucer with a
> smooth rounded bottom. Smooth it out with a wadded
> up paper towel, I think the theory behind using
> foil is to extend the working time a little and
> spreading out the finish will assist the little
> bubbles in coming to the surface. I then take a
> soda straw and gently blow the bubbles away. I
> would be hesitant about pouring the finish out on
> anything but foil due to the possibility of
> contamination. The reason for placing the foil
> shiny side up is also to eliminate the possibility
> of contamination. During the foil manufacturing
> process the dull side of the foil is the side that
> is in contact with the rollers,thus the
> possibility of contamination.

Yep, I understand the contamination concerns, I clean it real well with DA or ISA, and let it dry completely, I have finished two rods so far without a problem. I have put the foil over a small saucer or a mason jar lid as well in the past. The stainless little bowl will do the same as foil for extending the pot life and letting it spread out for bubble removal. The little bowl I am talking about is about 3" in diameter. With the magnetic bottom, I simply stick a nut or anything metal on one side of the bottom and it keeps the bowl titled for me. Working good so far.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 12:49PM

am i correct in saying the reason the foil extends the potlife is that it disperses heat better that a plastic mixing cup? if so couldnt you get a small copper bowl(i think copper disperses heat better than aluminum) and would extend the potlife a little longer?

Date: September 14, 2007 01:04PM

Three inches in dia is plenty wide enough ( I visualized them as being a lot smaller) ,that will work fine. I have never seen these little bowls I will have to check them out.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 01:32PM

A fresh white ceramic bathroom tile works fine too.

Date: September 14, 2007 09:48PM

Jon; Some builders work directly from the mixing cup. I would think copper would work fine. Bill uses a fresh white bathroom tile. Most importantly, don't pour it on something unclean or something that might contain oils, waxes, silicone etc. I use foil because it is clean and I have got a clean one every time. Aluminum foil is cheap and easy to dispose of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2007 09:50PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 11:08PM

most of the time i use it from the mixing cup also...i just recently started pouring it on foil but im really not sure why haha

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.73.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 12:31AM

I use a small steel tray lined with foil. I'd rather wad up the foil and trash it than spend the time cleaning the tray. The wrinkles in the foil don't bother me.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 12:40AM

We're like Mick. We keep a small box of foil sheets handy just for this, trash them when done. No cleanup needed.

We use the mixing cups and may clean them once, but generally we diuscard them after two uses at most. We just got the little mixing machine and it uses generic condiment cups which are even cheaper, but we rigged a little foam collar to enable using the "standard" Flex Coat cups. Mixes very nicely, reduces bubbles, and I can still do something else while it does the work.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2007 06:19AM

I use aluminum mini tart pans - they are 3-7/8" wide and 7/8" deep. I purchase 125 for $6. At less than a nickel each, it is cheaper to throw them away than to use DA to clean them. They have a nice lip on the edge for wiping a spatula or brush as well. The diameter is just right for 6cc of mixed finish, just large enough diameter to still have it all spread to a completely thin layer.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.47.145.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 10:36AM

Hi Bill,
I switched to a glossy ceramic tile about a year ago and it works reaaly well and the epoxy peels off of the tile easily and just a quick wipe with denatured alcohol and you're ready to go again.

Mike Blomme

Date: September 16, 2007 01:36PM

I like the glossy tile idea..... I will get one and try that as well.....

Thanks!

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2007 02:21PM

Simialr for me,,,, old glazed ashtray. Tho I'm finding myself go straight out of the mixing cup more and more now as I get faster in application

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2007 09:23AM

I use the 3 inch PVC test caps that you can buy at a Lowe’s or plumbing supply used for pressure testing plumbing drainage systems.

Cost me .61 cents never clean them out. I just poor the next batch over top of last, when caps full. I throw it away and start another.

Just the rags and time I save in cleaning more then pays for the caps

One cap is good for 15 to 20 rods

Posted by: Angelo Randaci (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2007 11:35AM

I take a soda or beer can, turn it upside down, clean the bottom with solvent and mix my epoxy in it. It works great, keeps the epoxy in the middle of the can because of the beveled surface, and when finished, just throw it away. But where to get the empty beer cans.........................

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2007 01:01PM

I like it... a reason to procure empty beer cans :-) Full is probably a better heat sink, but empty sounds a whole lot more beneficial to the endevour. Should probably mix in small batches to ensure the epoxy is fresher too

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: September 17, 2007 09:03PM

I tape the foil to a small pizza box. It lasts for 4-5 rods if you pour out the epoxy in strategic spots around the flat surface. Stretched and taped to the box the foil doesn't wrinkle. When done, undo the tape, throw the foil away and tape on a new one.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Ron Zangari (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2007 08:41PM

I use small foil weighing dishes available at any lab supply site, they are pretty cheap, and sturdier than regular foil. I do like the empty beer can idea though.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster