I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting difference between my 10 1/2' and 7 1/2' Spiral Wraps.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2007 05:12PM

Thanks to the advice from this forum, C. Karp, and a few other sources, I made my true casting debut today with my Batson 10.5' Acid Wrap (revolver wrap) and my 7.5' "Stupid" Spiral (modified Simple Wrap) and was amazed at how well I was able to use a casting reel if I followed some disciplined steps designated for beginners.

What amazed me was I was casting in excess of 100'-110' with the XSH 10.5' and my pricey Daiwa Luna but that dang litlle 7.5' with my Abu Garcia C4 was smoking the same 1/2oz lure even further! The 10.5' rod is rated 3/8-3/4oz and the 7.5' is 1/4-5/8oz. Is the reason I'm casting further with the shorter rod because I'm loading it more or because I'm able to accelerate the tip much faster? Seems loading it would have some affect but the fact that the tip is 3' closer to my wrist fulcrum would make a bigger difference seems to me.

I was able to "educate my thumb" as I didn't have any birdesnest and using fluorescent lines seems to really help follow the line as I could see when to start applying more thumb pressure (I'll still use a clear leader though). I read somewhere someone said once they had learned to use a casting rod, why would they ever use anything else? I'm starting to agree with that statement - casting these two rods was alot of fun. Thanks for all the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting difference between my 10 1/2' and 7 1/2' Spiral Wraps.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2007 05:47PM

Two possible reasons - First, you use a different style cast for both. On the longer rod, if you cast two handed the butt is the fulcrum. On the shorter rod if you cast one handed, and I'm making an assumption here, your reel hand/wrist is the fulcrum. Also, if you are moving the butts of both rods at the same speed and the same distance, the tip of the longer rod is moving faster than that of the shorter rod.

Now let's move on to other variables.

1. The lure or sinker you're throwing with the heavier rod is itself larger and more wind resistant.

2. The use of different reels.

3. The use of different lines and line diameters.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2007 09:08PM

Thanks Tom, that would make sense that the tip on the longer rod is moving faster only if I'm able to accelerate both rods at the same speed but I can't. The longer rod is heavier and feels like it takes much longer to cast from about 2 0'clock to 10 0'clock but I seem to be able to zip the shorter rod much more quickly through that same casting stroke.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2007 10:44PM

That makes sense. There is a limit to what you can do as the rod gets longer and longer. Longer is usually better for distance up to a point, after which you get into a situation of diminishing returns.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 01:25AM

Could it be your casting form is better with the shorter rod? The difference in weight (although not huge) and length may alter your body mechanics. Example: baseball bats come in different weights. Heavier doesn't always make a home run hitter if you can't control it and get the right swing motion.

Also, I'm assuming a two hand cast on the 10 1/2'. You may be far more fluid slinging the 7 1/2' with one arm than having to coordinate two. Minor differences in movement can have a big impact.

Add that to Tom's points. I'll defintely agree with the line weight impact on casting distance. I never throw heavier than 10lb test on my topwater rod. I need to maximum distance possible. Once I move up from 10#, I just don't cast as far.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 06:51PM

I've certainly found it very different casting short vs long rods. 7' is almost automatic to me. I like a 9', but it takes me awhile to adjust to mine anyway, as it seems a lob works best for me.
But basically, you are mixing lengths, casting styles, actions, reels, and number of guides. I'm not sure that is anything like a fair comparison of anything other than those 2 specific configurations in your own hands.
For fun tho, pick up a spinning rod in the same ballpark and give that a throw. Least for me, I always find the spinning setup better for casting.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 10:46AM

One very important question of this test that you did not answer, is - how much rod distance - do you have from the reel to the tip of the rod.

It really doesn't matter how long the overall lenght of the rod is; when comparing casting distance. The important measurement is the distance from the reel seat to the tip of the rod.

If your 7 ' rod has a 1 foot back grip- you are casting with a rod that has an effective casting length of 6'.

However, if your 10 foot rod has a much longer back grip - it may be casting with a much shorter effective distance than you think.

------------
To make a true comparison of the rods, you need to use the same reel on both rods, and use the same line, and the same casting weight.

Then, you can began to make a fair comparison.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster