I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
CTS rods?
Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: September 13, 2007 12:34PM

Has anyone here used a CTS Elite baitcasting blank to build on? I am wondering how they compare weightwise with G-Loomis GLX blanks, lighter, more sensitive??? say a 6'6" medium heavy/fast compared to the same.

Does anyone have a weight chart for CTS blanks? Specifically the Elite Baitcasting and spinning blanks?

Thanks for any help,

-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS rods?
Posted by: Charlie Roberts (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 13, 2007 01:03PM

Give Robert at Fishsticks4 U a call. He can help you with a selection and has some stock at this time. I just received a couple of popping blanks that I like very well.

Charlie R

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 13, 2007 02:30PM

Michael,
Blank weight isn't everything, you can easily pickup the difference with good component and reel selection. Durability wise there is no comparision, the CTS wins easily. Just built a 7 ft CTS MXF travel rod, I could easily see a #2 trout spinner and feel every blade turn with the CTS, get within 40 ft and I could do the same with a #1 blade. I own a few travel and single piece GLX rods, they used to be the best over 13 years ago when they first came out, they have set on their posteriors and let everyone else catch up. Haven't and wouldn't buy a GLX now for a very long time.

Date: September 13, 2007 03:28PM

I am currently using GLX blanks exclusively due to thier lightweight and sensitivity. I am interested to see if a comparable CTS blank is as light or lighter and as sensitive while still being stronger. If anyone has an elite series baitcasting blank and has the ability to weigh it I would greatly appreciate the specs on the blank you have and the weight for that model.

Spencer, I definately appreciate your input. However ,if comparing identical components on different manufacturers blanks, i dont think you will find a lighter more sensitive (bass fishing) blank out there. If you know of one with numbers to prove it PLEASE let me know because this is exactly what I am looking for. All the rods I build only use IMO the best components ie titanium SIC guides, Fuji exposed blank reel seats ect......

Thanks for any and all info you can provide on blank weights for the elite series CTS baitcasters.

-Mike

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 13, 2007 06:38PM

No data to back it up, but in my opinion, Loomis has fallen considerably down the list. I think that they are WAY outshadowed by CTS. St. Croix and Rainshadow RX-8. and probably others

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2007 09:57PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Enoch Tay (---.cmri.usyd.edu.au)
Date: September 13, 2007 06:44PM

For a list of specs on CTS blanks, click on the "CTS Rod Blanks" link on the left and in the bottom right of their homepage, there is a link "download spec list" which is a PDF file containing butt, tip diameters and weight of nearly their whole range.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2007 06:50PM

Michael -

I doubt you will find anything lighter than GLX material. However, I do think St Croix SCV blanks are superior ... IPC, ART and carbon matte scrim make them an unbelievable blank - in addition, they are readily available and very fairly priced.

Others have mentioned a few other premium choices as well. I strongly encourage you to give some of these other blanks an opportunity ... I believe that you will find satisfaction among them.

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2007 10:25PM

Thanks for that info Enoch Tay. I have found that only one of the blanks mentioned here and on my other thread compare in weight to Loomis IMX and thats the SC-V. GLX is a much better material than the IMX so I know these are no where near what I am looking for. Too bad the SC-V doesnt come in a matte gray or black.... Would seem that the blank would be lighter if they didnt have the clear coat on the blank, not sure why they paint and coat them????

Loomis IMX 783c - 1.6oz, I am guessing the GLX is @ 1.3oz maybe less? Anyone know where I can find GLX weights???

Rainshadow RX-8 783C - 2.13OZ

CTS - 1.8oz (i think im looking at the comparible model?) Not sure how you can rate a blank at a maximum line weight of 12lbs, but the lure weight is 1 3/8oz???? Doesnt add up??

Lamiglass XMG - 1.8oz

St-Croix SC-V - 1.5oz (i used a medium action model because st croix are a little stiffer) Medium heavy is 2.1oz. unfortunately the SC-V is a painted model, and painted BROWN at that......

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 13, 2007 11:09PM

G Loomis quit giving out the GLX blank weights from what I've seen after they added more graphite to beef them up a little about the same time they started putting fiberglass scrim in the IMX blanks. I was told that they were now just a bit lighter than the old graphite scrim IMXs were. I bought a GLX HS9000-3 travel blank about then for myself and commented to the salesman that they appeared to have gone up in weight from the ones I had built for others before. This was about the same time that Shikari took the SHXi blanks off the market because the people were blowing them up all the time. Same was happening to the GLX rods, and it was decided to take the GLX blanks out of the blank catalog.

Date: September 13, 2007 11:59PM

Weight is NOT everything, nor should it be. Besides, I watch people buy super light blanks and ruin them with the wrong guides, wrong finish, wrong grips OR worse yet, the wrong reel and line and/or application.

IMHO, in most situations you are better off with a stronger blank than the GLX and make up the fractions of an ounce somewhere else, it won't be much of difference in the finished product anyway.

You really should give the St Croix SCV blanks and the Lamiglas XMG blanks a chance to prove themselves. BTW, the only way to get accurate blank weights, tip sizes, butt diameters or anything else is to buy them and do your own weighing and sizing ... besides, you need to test them all anyway to provide proper first hand advice.

Posted by: Enoch Tay (---.cmri.usyd.edu.au)
Date: September 14, 2007 01:15AM

When comparing the CTS blank weights, make sure you know which series you are comparing with. There is the elite, and then there is the elite TOURNAMENT, which is about 20% lighter.

I built on an elite spin tournament 4-6 kg (8-12lb), and it was comparable in weight to the equivalent SCV (6-12lb), both coming in at around 1.7 oz. At the top of the range, no matter the manufacturer (loomis, st croix, CTS, batson), all the blanks are pretty much equal in weight and performance anyway.

Date: September 14, 2007 08:57AM

I dont understand the CTS blank ratings. Can anyone with CTS experience please tell me how the line to lure weight ratings are possible?? These are for the Elite inshore baitcasting blanks. Im trying to see what to consider a Medium Heavy/fast rated rod.

Line Weight Lure Weight
1-3kg / 2-6lb 5-12g - 3/8-7/16oz
2-4kg / 4-8lb 8-20g - 9/32-3/4oz
4-6kg / 8-12lb 15-38g - 1/2-1 3/8oz
4-8kg / 8-15lb 16-45g - 9/16-1 5/8oz
6-8kg / 12-15lb 22-55g - 3/4-2oz
6-10kg / 12-20lb 22-55g - 3/4-2oz
10-15kg / 20-30lb 30-75g - 1-2 5/8oz

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 10:32AM

Have you tried look ing at the FishSticks4U site where they have the Americanized ratings that were done by Lamar Fishing, the distributor, and CTS? This could help you alot. If you don't see what you want there I bet they can come up with it.

Date: September 14, 2007 10:48AM

Looks like I was wrong about the Lamiglass XMG blanks. I got the weight I posted last night from Mudholes website. It shows there that the 783 is 1 13/16, Lamiglass website shows 1 3/16. Thats a huge difference....

Lamiglass LSJ783 1.2oz. THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT!!!!!!!! I got that weight from Lamiglass website.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 10:50AM

Basically.....

1power = light
2power-med light
3 power-med
4power-MH

Take the EBT series:

EBT 781 = 1power
EBT 782 = 2power
EBT 783 = 3power
EBT 784 = 4power

Thier numbers are confusing for sure, this is the best way myself personally can keep in my head what rod is which in the casting Fast series.

DR

Date: September 14, 2007 11:26AM

I've always thought of it like this in the 6'6" range..

782 = Medium/fast
783=Medium heavy/fast
784=heavy/fast

Are your postings above how you look at CTS blanks, or all fast action casting blanks in general?

Thanks,

-Mike

Date: September 14, 2007 02:34PM

Every manufacturer has their own interpretation of strength, action, etc. They do not correlate precisely and in some cases it isn't even close. Again, the only way to truly determine things is to buy the blanks and check them for yourself. Well, actually there is one other way - but you will have to wait until February and attend the Rod Expo in High Point.

Lamiglas XMG blanks are a fraction of the price of GLX blanks ... yet the composition of the XMG blanks is very competitive and IMO the blanks are less suspectible to fracture.

St Croix SCV blanks are even more durable ... again the ART incorporated into those blanks (and SCIV) makes them incredibly tough, yet they are light and sensitive. Don't knock 'em until you try them.

Bob at Custom Tackle carries all of the above ... G Loomix GLX, Lamiglas XMG and St Croix SCV. He has been at it a long time and can help you select specific blanks for every application - telling you which is superior in his opinion AND why. Give him a call and buy a few of each blank and be done with the guessing.

Posted by: Dorothy Banculli (---.arcs.nyc1.dasdial.com)
Date: September 14, 2007 02:54PM

I see a few posts down that Merrick Tackle has a CTS blank as a raffle prize.
Don Becker seems to know a lot about them. His site is posted, maybe check that out
or ask him for specs.

[www.donstacklehawaii.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 03:49PM

Michael,

The 782 is light power, the 783 is medium power and the 784 is the medium heavy, like I stated above. The MH blank, 784, (4 power) I have built many of, same with the 783 (3 power) that is Med in rating and I surely would NOT concider the EBT783 a "medium heavy" blank by far. The EBT783 is a dead ringer for a medium power blank, and the 784 is a dead ringer for a medium heavy blank.

All the numbers on the CTS line are hard to understand and deal with sometimes. It's better than it was for sure, but it's still confusing to some, including me, but I have built enough of those above to concider them to be what I rated them. It may be an "opinion" but I feel like most that hold these blanks would agree.

DR

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 15, 2007 07:48AM

DR )> - Lami also deals in 5, 6 and 7s for those builders who provide stump removal devices to tourney guys. When the 2, 3, 4 numbers leave the conversation and small, medium and large get involved it may be a torpedo lead grass punch, swim bait or stump size they are dealing with! One thing for sure Mo Yang would never understand! He would croak if he saw me install a 2.5 ounce removable balancing butt weight in a grass rake.

If you tried to rate some of these sticks with the CC System you would break the bank in gathering up enough pennies!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2007 08:27AM by Bill Stevens.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster