I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spey rod choice
Posted by: Douglas Smith (65.39.153.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 01:01PM

Hello,
I'm looking at building a spey rod for some beach and river fishing in BC. At this time I'm planning on targeting chum salmon 10-20lbs, pink and coho salmon 4-12lbs (wishful thinking!) and maybe some steelhead. Casting will be from ocean beaches and stream/river banks.

I think I've found a few options that look to be a good fit for my purposes. The first is a Loop Blue 12'6" 8wt rod. Next is a RB Meiser Clearwater 12'6" 7/8wt spey rod. The Loop is from a local shop though, while I'd have to order in the Meiser. The cost is about the same, around $180cdn.

If anyone has any info or opinions on these rods or other options, I'd love to hear it.
thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spey rod choice
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2007 02:05PM

Bob Meiser has spent a great deal of time (many years) developing and refining spey and switch blanks and rods. For me, it would be a simple and comfortable choice to go with Bob's offering.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 13, 2007 01:56PM

New Rainshadow® RX7 Spey Rod blanks

Sequim, WA - July 11th, 2007 – One Of The Fishing Industry’s Leading Blank Supplier’s Batson Enterprises is pleased to announce a new series of Rainshadow Spey Rod blanks.

Batson Product Manager Mike Thorson: “We are very fortunate to have an in house design team that has over 75 years of experience designing blanks. We felt there was a need for a high quality yet affordable series of Traditional spey rod blanks in the market place. These new Rainshadow designs offer a traditional spey action vs. the Euro actions that our Forecast spey blanks offer. We worked closely with industry experts on the design and actions of these new models and feel you will be impressed with the results. They are frankly a steal at the prices we are offering them at.”

In the chart below are the new models we will be offering. Please visit our website or contact us for further details

Model Color Length Pcs. Line Wt. Butt Dia Tip size Action Blank Wt. MSRP
IF1266-4 M 12’6” 4 6wt. spey .467 4.5 Trad. Spey 4.13 $126.82
IF1307-4 M 13’0” 4 7wt. spey .495 5 Trad. Spey 4.33 $152.71
IF1368-4 M 13’6” 4 8wt. spey .512 6 Trad. Spey 5.08 $157.24
IF1409-4 M 14’0” 4 9wt. spey .585 5.5 Trad. Spey 6.03 $166.29

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 14, 2007 02:44AM

Douglas,
Bob Meiser gave a short, positive review of the Rainshadow blanks a page or two back in the posts.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: September 17, 2007 03:40AM

Douglas...

Based on the fishing conditions you will encounter and the vast-range in fish weight, I would opt for nothing less than the IF1368-4 M 13’6” 4 8wt. spey .512 6 Trad. Spey 5.08 $157.24 IMHO. I think that 20# Chums will smoke you on anything less than this rod as Steelies will do the same as I'm sure you know.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster