I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help wanted
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.63.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 10:34PM

I got such a deal on a Purglas closeout blank I couldn't resist. Now I've got a 11'6" three piece monster with a #9 tip and a 1.14" butt. I've built many fly rods and a few spin rods but I have no idea about a guideset or spacing, or a reel seat on this beast . I'd like to build a spinrod. Any component or spacing suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help wanted
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 10:53PM

You didn't provide much info. Can you be more specific? Surf? Fresh or salt?
Species targeted??

You said you've built spinning rods. You probably answered your own question.

The blank will tell you where the guides need to be but ya need to learn the language.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: September 11, 2007 11:08PM

It's either a decent surf rod, or something you could use for poling a flats boat off St Somewhere.

Could maybe be used for catfish, or carp. Or really big bluegill.

Lay out a grip/reelseat/foregrip design that's comfortable for you. Then start with a 50mm stripper and progress from there through your monster tip-top. There are lots of articles in the magazine about guide spacing, but there are no rules - just whatever looks like a progression from reel to tip without hinges or sags or flat spots. If Tom's basic rule of 1guide per foot plus one plus the tip holds, then you'll end up with something like 12 or 13 guides plus the tip.

Wrap it in whatever colors you like. Keep it simple because something this length with a butt like that just begs for some serious thread art but that'll take you till next season to do and fall surf fishing is coming up in a couple weeks. So are catfish and carp fall seasons. Bluegill is about over, though.

Have fun. As we say in our little shop -just build it!

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 11:39PM

Phil,

Russ did a much better job than I in answering your question.
Just keep is simple & look at some catalogs.

Your email address is hidden so I can't send you a little utility
I have that might give you a good start placing guides and learning
to speak "rodblank".

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 11:51PM

The guide spacing is very simple -
Press the tip against the wall and bend the rod. Insure that one guide is placed exactly where the first bend occurs.
Normally, you will have one or possibly two guides in front of that guide toward the tip.
Then, the other guides will simply be placed, toward the butt in an increasing distance to insure that the rod is loaded properly.

Don't make the mistake of putting on too many guides. Put on just enough to insure that the line follows the contour of the rod.
I expect that this rod has a fairly moderate action, so the number of spinning guides should be fairly low.
The advice about starting the the size 50 for the first guide is right on.

Place the reel seat where it makes sense for the type use you are going to be giving the rod.
If you are going to be doing two hand casting, then possibly a 15 inch or so back grip might be in order. You could always go shorter, but then you might find that the tip gets awfully heavy. You could always back weight the butt of the rod, if you wanted to increase your fishing distance, by going to a shorter back grip on the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2007 05:38AM

These measurements are from my Allstar 1418 11'6" Surf rod (inches From the Tip 7 -14.5- 25 -37.5 -50.5 -67 -84) just rough measurement Good Luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster