I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
new ssglass from Seeker
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 03:44PM

Has anyone used the new Seeker"X" blank which is the S glass. This supposidely is superior to e glass which is the standard of the industry. It is used in the aerospace industry and has 30% more pulling strength than the e glass blanks. These blanks would be used for tuna or big game fishing. Thanks,
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new ssglass from Seeker
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: September 11, 2007 04:00PM

Lots of guys are using them out WEst and even up in teh East. There's a bit of information on teh WC Tuna boards, as well as Noreast.

Date: September 11, 2007 04:52PM

Billy,
What board would have this information either WC or EC? Thanks,
Sanford

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2007 05:23PM

They're great. Seeker has improved upon what was already a great blank. If you liked the old ones, you'll love these. The weight difference is noticeable.

Date: September 11, 2007 05:25PM

Noreast has a few guys who have used them. I believe I saw posts on both senor tuna and bloodydecks, and I'd assume Allcoast might have some info. A friend of a friend of mine owns a tackle shop on Long Island, tunafishtackle - and he was raving about these to me inteh chat room teh other night. I also know MArk GRiffen from @#$%& knows a bit abotu thee blanks as he was telling me stuff earlier this year. The one issue with them is the availability of them, it sounds to me like Seeker is right now making the blanks for Factory rods first, adn rodbuilders are having to wait a while before tehir orders are filled. Don't quote me on that though.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 05:52PM

I have a Super Seeker SD8 and love it. One thing to note is that not all the super seekers have graphite in them. The SS-SD8 has no graphite and it is a heavy blank.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 08:00PM

Being on the west coast I have built 4 Super Seekers to date.....They are like Tom says ..."noticeably lighter" than the "E" glass.
Anglers Workshop for one stocks these blanks.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Date: September 11, 2007 08:42PM

Thanks to all. I have to make 6 of them, so I don't want to make an error in judgement.
Sanford

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 11, 2007 09:12PM

They are a LOT lighter than their predecessors!

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 09:08AM

If you are new to stand up fishing and building I'd suggest picking up the Rod Maker issue that explains it. I just had some interest in building this type of rod and received a copy and it points out many things that you would not take into consideration. Very well written.

Date: September 12, 2007 09:32AM

Scott,
I am not new to the building of tuna rods. I have done many before this, but I the East Coast fishing community is a bit different than the West Coast fishing, and I have heard a great deal about the S glass being used on the West Coast. I have been using Calstar and Lamiglass blanks and been very satisfied, but would consider the newer materials to try. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject.
Sanford

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 09:59AM

Just a thought, and it was about a magazine article not materials or the differences between WC vs. EC preferences.

Date: September 12, 2007 12:56PM

Line class for line class, most of the east coast blanks are much stiffer than the west coast counterpart. Just be careful when selecting the blank. At one time, Seeker even had two listings for their IGFA blanks, east and west coast ratings.

"S" glass for offshore work isn't new. In fact, Fenwick used it many, many years ago on some of their IGFA offshore trolling and live bait blanks. They were very light compared to most E glass models but were very well designed and held up nicely.

Date: September 12, 2007 01:32PM

Tom,
If that is the case, using a 70 or 80 class reel, would you choose the XX or XXX blank?
Sanford

Date: September 12, 2007 02:21PM

What type and size fish are you going after? I don't think I'd start with the reel. I'd start with the fish I plan to fight and then select the rod and then the line and then the reel.

Date: September 12, 2007 02:49PM

Tom,
We are fishing for tuna in the 100-500# range. Of course, we always gear up for the big one and anything less will be brought in. These are boat rods obviously, and we use 80-100# line. The reels are fairly standard in size, being the 50's, and 70-80 class internationals.
Sanford

Date: September 12, 2007 03:07PM

Sanford, when do you get the Giants up there?

Date: September 12, 2007 03:54PM

Billy,
The giants start in July in the area of Stellwagon Bank Sanctuary. Then they travel South towards areas such as the BC Buoy and the Regal Sword. You would need a map to get a better idea of what I am describing. That is about 30 miles off the coast. If you get out to the canyons where you find lots and lots of boats, there are giants and swordfish, mahi mahi, and others. As you know we use spreader bars for the lesser size tuna ( 35-70"). We have had three great years so far. It is usually not if we get them, but what spot to go to. I have a anglers permit and am permitted one giant/year (73" and up), and three fish in certain lengths per day. We concern ourselves with weather up here, being foggy and windy part of the time, not like the West Coast or Mid Atlantic, where you can count on relatively good days most of the time. Sept and Oct are the best months for the big ones, but there are always other sizes most of the time. It is really exciting fishing, and we are concious of preserving as many of these fish as possible, releasing most, and only keeping those we will eat.
Sanford

Date: September 12, 2007 05:33PM

I assume you are also using wide spool reels - 50W's loaded with 80lb line? 80W's with 100lb line?

I would use nothing less than the 80lb class blank - east coast rating. The 100lb would be fine as well but I would not drop to a 50lb. Cross reference whether the XX or XXX would put you at least at something that would rate at 80lbs minimum. I see no reason to match to anything much over 100, certainly not the 130lb rating.

Date: September 12, 2007 06:31PM

Tom,
I was thinking in that direction. Thanks.
Sanford

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster