I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slicing thin cork??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2007 08:42PM

I had seen a jig for cutting thin cork.
It appeared to be a piece of wood, with a hole of the desired cork width drilled into the wood with a fostner bit - (so that it had a flat bottom) , insert the cork ring into the hole, and then run the wood down past a thin bandsaw blade while using the bandsaw.

Is this typical of cork cutting jigs, or is there a better method?

Thanks much
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slicing thin cork??
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2007 09:02PM

Here'a couple more methods you might look at!
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.southslope.net)
Date: September 08, 2007 11:28PM

Custom Tackle just can into a really precise jig that will also do pie pieces for checkers. Really well made and thought out. Give Bob a call.

Date: September 09, 2007 12:43AM

This is the slicing jig from Custom Tackle.[www.rodbuilding.org] Very good jig. It is strictly for slicing rings and will not do checkers. Here is the one they have for checkerboards and diamonds [www.rodbuilding.org] . Great jigs and well worth the price.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2007 11:12AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: September 09, 2007 08:50AM

Roger - I've got the aluminum jigs from Custom Tackle. Great way to get the job done.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Date: September 09, 2007 09:51AM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the slicing jig from Custom Tackle. Very
> good jig. It is strictly for slicing rins and
> will not do checkers. Here is the one they have
> for checkerboards and diamonds . Great jigs and
> well worth the price.
>
> Mike
> If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can
> make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

No Mike, this is new and totaly different. You would really be amazed. This does do both precisley. You will have to call Bob as most things he has is not on his website.

Date: September 09, 2007 11:13AM

Scott, Sounds great! Can you post a pic?

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: September 09, 2007 12:06PM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scott, Sounds great! Can you post a pic?
>
> Mike
> If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can
> make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This I guess is now being made and sold to the public. I does work great.

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 12:34PM

The one Scott has put the link to is not the one being sold I made that one and the chekerboard fixtures out of hardened tool steel. I beleave there are some being made out of Aluminum but I have not seen them.

Allen Madsen

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2007 12:04AM

Matt,
Thanks for the update.
I think that I will give them a try.
Roger

Date: September 10, 2007 07:12PM

Allen, I posted the pic of the one I bought from Bob at Custom Tackle. You had to have a part of this or someone you know took it away from you. This is made from heat treated aluminum.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2007 08:27PM by Scott Kleppe.

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 10, 2007 09:09PM

Your right Scott I made the original it was a joint effort of mine and a friends ideas. He had the idea and I refined it a bit. Being a machinist by trade and having access to the latest in machining technology I built the ones for myself that were in the picture and a couple for my friend out of the hardened tool steel. I also made some fixtures for flat sanding the slices and for clamping the chekerboard sections in compression and the outside diameter while the glue dried. I have not seen the instructions that come with the fixtures but remember to put in a piece of shimstock in each cut after you make it while cutting the sections to hold them in place.

Allen

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 08:58AM

Allen is to be commended for his design work. So that it was possible to make these available to the rod building world, we at Custom Tackle Supply were selected to market and sell the jigs. These are a brand new design of jigs, besides the others that we have always offered. If any of you are interested, just contact me either by phone at 931-684-6164 or e-mail me - customtackle@united.net - for ordering. They are sold as a set.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster