I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

@#$%& tension device??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2007 08:03PM

Has anyone tried the @#$%& thread device for tensioning the thread on the rod building?
It uses magnets to hold the tension on the thread.
The idea appeals to me because, for the metallic threads, I would like a device which doesn't run the thread through any loop or other tension device. Right off the spool of thread to the rod.

Too often, when using metallics, the tension device or loop, can grab the thread and fuzz the thread.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: @#$%& tension device??
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2007 08:26PM

Don't know about that particular device, but I like to put the tension on the spool instead of the thread for the same reasons.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 08, 2007 08:30PM

Roger,
It works good handwrapping, under a power wrap it gets pulled over by the wrappers startup speed. Tensions the spool.

Date: September 08, 2007 08:39PM

I am confused.
What do you mean when you say that it gets pulled over by the startup of the power wrapper.
The @#$%& device is a bolt with a wingnut on the top with a pair of magnets on the bottom to set the tension. Then, on the bottom of the device is a screw that is used to mount the device to what every type of holding device you might have in mind.

I currently use a swinging arm - with a loop in it to guide the thread to the rod.
I was thinking of mounting the @#$%& device on the same swing arm, so that I could raise it or lower it as necessary to get approximate alignment with the rod.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
The folowing is a picture of the device:

[www.aarollerguides.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 08, 2007 09:00PM

Rodger,
Where the two magnets join and you put paper between to change the tension, that joint has quite a bit of mechanical advantage put on it, especially if your taking thread off the top wrap of a large spool of thread. When you get the more abrupt startup tension of the power wrapper it just tips over at the joint and your small pieces of paper spill over your bench.

Date: September 08, 2007 09:33PM

Can the magnets be taken apart so that a different material be put between them to avoid this problem?
Thanks much
Roger

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 08, 2007 10:42PM

Yuo can add as many or as much thickness of spacers as you want. The more you use, the less thread tension. The spacers are placed between the magnets. And yes, power wrapping has a tendency to pull the thread holder over. The device is excellent for hand wrapping metallics without fraying.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.5.86.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 12:23AM

Roger,
The @#$%& device consists of two magnets--one of which allows you to attach a spool of thread. The @#$%& Company also provides a series of either plastic or paper discs to alter the tension. If you are using a power wrapper, the initial acceleration of the power wrapper can cause the magnet with the spool of thread to separate from the other magnet which is usally mounted on some immovable object.
You can achieve the same result by putting a bolt or piece of threaded rod through a wooden frame and using a spring, some washers and wing nuts. The latter will be much less expensive and you can build a frame that will allow you to have multiple spools of thread available for wrapping.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 02:57AM

Mike,

You said: "You can achieve the same result by putting a bolt or piece of threaded rod through a wooden frame and using a spring, some washers and wing nuts".

Your suggested approach will cause jerky thread tensioning, due to the startup (break away) friction of the spring and washers. This will result in a very unsightly thread wrap, due to the varying thick & thin thread windings,

The magnets on the @#$%& device are absolutely smooth with a high polished surfaces and do no cause the jerkiness, which results in the smoothest thread tension control of any device available.

I know this for a fact, because I have used, and compared both types of thread tension devices.

Rena (I painted my @#$%& Tensioner "Pink")

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 09, 2007 04:20AM

The Pac Bay wrapper thread holder places the tension on the spoool instead of the thread using spring, washers and wing nuts and it doesn't cause jerky thread tension.. The Renzetti and others also apply tension on the spool instead of the thread with no problems

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2007 05:51AM

None of the spring tensioners on my Renzetti have ever sputtered or jerked. Thin teflon washers between the brass washers ensure that thread tension and release will be smooth as silk.

Michael's suggestion will work fine. If you experience any "jerkiness" just obtain some thin brass washers (usually enough by themselves) and if you want to go the whole mile, some thin teflon washers to back those against the spool with.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2007 11:13AM

I've not noticed any problems with my Pac bay tensioners sputtering or jerking either

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 11:15AM

The @#$%& works OK if you are hand wrapping I had the same pull over problem with the @#$%& on my power wrapper at start up. I ended up making my own using more powerful magnets and an adjustible peice made out of delrin AF which is delrin with teflon in it and a center post that goes inside the piece that has the tread spool attached. Works great and the nice part about it is I do not need to adjust the tension when I put a new spool on. I will post a Picture of what I made.

Allen Madsen

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 04:44PM

Yes. I bought a couple of @#$%& and with the power wrapper, they do tend to tip over, especially with long spools such as sulky thread. They seem to work better if you have shorter spools, or can adjust the take-off height of the thread to be more of a straight pull instead of the down angle you get if the routing loop is attached close to the thread carraige. Don't know if this makes sense, but the effect is you are pulling down from the top of a tall spool, adding the height of the 2 magnets overcomes the shear strength.

Anyway, they work okay with short spools, but not with tall ones.

Terry

Date: September 10, 2007 12:10AM

Allen,
I appreciate the thoughts and I will look forward to seeing the pictures.
Since I haven't seen one, it sounds to me like the @#$%& system uses two magnets. One magnet is screwed to a mount, and the other magnet simply sits on top of the bottom magnet. then, the top magnet, has a longer bolt in it to hold the thread. Thus the attractive force of the magnets, both hold the thread upright, as well as providing the winding tension???

Yes, I would look forward to seeing a design, which would still use the attractive forces of the magnets to provide the winding tension, but still have a through center post to avoid any tip over issues or mounting issues.

Thanks again.
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster