I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which CP?
Posted by: Ron Petley (---.hsc.mb.ca)
Date: September 08, 2007 04:35PM

Well I have finally run out od gludebrod811, I am hearing the new stuff is not as good? So out of the 3 which would you recomend.
1 Diamondite Color Preserver 2 nwe gludebrod 811 3 Americam Tackle Color Preserver.
Or some other I have overlooked, is brilance still around?
Cheers Ron.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which CP?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2007 04:39PM

I much prefer the Diamondite CP. It is thin and saturates very thoroughly, it dries very quickly and it doesn't produce uneven results. One you didn't mention is U40's Colorlock - I have used it much longer and have always been happy with the results of it as well - it is thicker, needs longer to dry and requires more attention IMO.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: September 08, 2007 04:50PM

I have only used three - 811, Flex Coat & Diamondite. I am down to a bottle and a half of good 811 but I really think I like the Diamondite even better.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2007 05:14PM

Since the old 811, I think they have switched formula 3 times without telling anyone. I haven't heard one positive thing about any of them, so personally, I wouldn't chance them. I found U-40 color lock to be pretty good and I still have some Flex coat that I sometimes use and that's not bad. Waiting patiently for Andy's (Lamar) CP as I'm sue when he's finally satisfied with the formula, it will be excellant!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 08, 2007 07:51PM

i use the U-40 color lock 2 also (mike told me about it) and its my first time using CP and i like it...its easy to put on and its clear

after i use this bottle which should be a while ill try out the lamar CP if its out...the threadmaster finish is excellent so i imagine the cp will be also

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2007 08:44PM

U40 or FC will yield the same exact results, which isnt' all that bad. I don't know what Amtak is, I've never tried it or heard much about it. THE one thing I wouldn't use is Minwax Polycrylic, which gives the same results as one of the rod building CP's which does a pretty bad job at preservring the color, espcially when compared side by side with the other CP's, including any version of 811..

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: September 09, 2007 06:08AM

Al's premium cane finishing products line, "Al's color rite" form Anglers Workshop isn't too bad.. many of the bamboo makers use it with the silks,(which is much harder to maintain color and have no blotching than nylon) You have to coat the silks 3 to 4 times to be sure, but I have coated just 1 time on nylon and no problems.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 12:12PM

I have used the old 811, Diamondite, and the America Tackle. I think the American Tackle penatrats better with higher %solids and more surfactants (that lower the surface tension of the liquid), than the Diamondite. My first choice is the old 811, but when I run out, I am probably going to the American Tackle, unless Gudebrod goes back to its orginal formulation. I have heard too many bad things about the new stuff.

Ed Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster