I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6'6" Fly Rod Blank, help needed.
Posted by: George Mock (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 05:23PM

I've been using a 50's vintage Shakespeare Wonderod, 6'6" for a 6 wt. I fish several small streams where this rod is ideal. It's small enough to cast easily in the brush and the 6wt. line lets me use larger streamers. (There are big trout in these streams)

This rod has a lot of sentimental value in that it was my brother's who was killed in an auto accident when he was just 18. I suppose it has some dollar value but either way, I think I should put this rod up and quit using it. It'll be nice to hand down to my son or grandson if nothing else.

So, I'd like to build a rod similar to the Shakespeare. The only problem is that once you get into the shorter length blanks, the line weight goes down with the length of the rod. I've never tried it, but I just don't see a 2,3 or even a 4 wt. line throwing a size 6 tungsten head wooly bugger.

Now that you've got the background, here are my questions: First of all, are there any reasonably priced blanks out there that are 6'6" and rated for a 6wt. I haven't been able to find any.

The second part of my question is that I'm looking at buying a 7'6" blank that's rated for a 4wt and then cutting 6 inches off the butt and the tip to give me a 6'6" rod. I would think that cropping off the ends of the blank would up the line class somewhat. What do you think? Do you think cropping a smaller blank would work?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6'6" Fly Rod Blank, help needed.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 05:49PM

You could use an ultralight glass spinning blank. I think you'll find if you CC your Wonderod that it doesn't spec out as a rated 6 wt, I've yet to see one of the older rods that do. That doesn't mean it isn't a 6 wt rod just that measuring it using an accepted measuring method puts it someplace else on the scale powerwise.

Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 05:50PM

George,

Some people use a conversion factor of 1/16 oz.lure for per weight of fly rod so a 6wt rod would equal approximately a blank rated for probably 5/16 -3/8 in spinning or casting lures. A better method would be to go the CCS route and measure the values of the wonder rod and then try to find a blank to duplicate that.

Dave

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 07:39PM

Cutting that much of a fly blank would IMO destroy it. You would end up with a slow, low powered blank.

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 08:46PM

i have a lamiglas GF784 fly rod blank,it says on the package its a 7/8 wt. i thaught that was wrong, i thaught 784 was 61/2 4wt. but this blank is way to stiff for a 4wt. i compaired it 4wt and its stiffer. so i tried a 7 wt its about the same. may be todd would know.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: September 06, 2007 10:10PM

I'd use a spinning rod, most likely in glass to have that slower action. A light spinning rod in graphite would also give you the same weighting, but faster action. Cutting an already short fly blank would drastically affect its performance.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 06:31AM

You wouldn't want to cut the tip section as that would eliminate the ferrule unless your going to use a metal ferrule.

Here is a beauty,, don't know if it is in your price range,,,

[]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2007 06:35AM by Fred Halfheimers.

Posted by: George Mock (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 07:05AM

Sencer, The line weight designation on the Shakespeare is FBM. I've looked in the literature for that designation and tried to contact Shakespeare but I was never able to find anything and Shakespeare never got back to me. A long time ago, like 40 years......I took the rod to a local tackle shop where I was living at that time to see what line would be suitable for this little rod. They had a large graph hanging on a wall. They put the grip of the rod in a fixture against the wall so that the tip was over the graph. Then they attached a weight to the tip top so that the tip of the rod would be pulled down over the graduated graph. This must have been shortly after the AFTMA standards came out. Anyway, according to that test, the rod's a 7 weight. I've kept the rod in storage for all these years but this Spring I decided to get it out and fish it. I was a little skeptical about the rod being a 7wt so I went to a shop where I'm living now to see what they thought. They gave me a bag full of reels with different size lines and told me to go try them. (Not very scientific but very practical) It was through trying the different lines that I found a 6 wt. works best.

Thanks, everyone for the comments on the new blank. Looks like an ultra light spinner blank would be the way to go.

I'd also like to thank this board for being so willing to help. I appreciate it that you guys take the time to answer my questions. About the only time I come here is when I have a problem or a question but maybe someday I'll be knowledgeable enough to answer a few questions instead of just asking them!

Thanks again!

Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 07:19AM

Try the 6ft 5wt diamondback diamondglass. That will be the closest modern blank you can get.

I have also had success dropping butt sections. Expect the weight of the rod to go down by 1-2 wts and it to be fuller flexing. So taking a 7 or 8wt rod and dropping the butt section might work.

Posted by: Keith Cokely (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 07, 2007 01:12PM

George, I too usually fish spots that have large, (2-6 lb), trout and all I use is a 4wt. Big heavy streamers are a bit cumbersome but manageable. Actually I do most of my damage with small nymphs anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster