I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Purple Rod
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 04:33PM

Forgive me for being such a terrible photographer but I did manage to upload some photos of a Spin cast rod built on one of Mud Hole's purple blank. They are in "Grips handles and seats'' and in "Guide wraps".
Gives you an idea about what shade of purple the blanks are.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 07:05PM by Jay Hunt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Purple Rod
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 04:36PM

are they decent rods?

wow that is a light purple...would be better if it was a midnight purple

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 04:39PM by jon edwards.

Posted by: Brent Keever (64.19.245.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 04:43PM

I have built a rod on the purple and pink blanks that mudhole offers. Actually they are not bad blanks I made mine for my girlfriend and her daughter they came out very nice.

Date: September 06, 2007 04:51PM

I think they are very nice blanks. Very light weight. I built this one for my auto mechanic's wife and she loves it.
Jon, they are a Lavender color , not true Purple. Dark Purple wraps look great. I tried Dark Green, didn't like it, too harsh.

Date: September 06, 2007 05:13PM

I used dark purple and metallic silver came out very nice I have pics of the marbeling I did on the purple bland came out very nice if you ask me lol. The pics are in my gallery if you want to take a peak.

Date: September 06, 2007 05:32PM

Brent, that is very nice. Did you underlay it with White thread ?

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 06:59PM

the rod and wraps look great(i meant the blank color being better if it was a midnight purple)

Date: September 06, 2007 07:06PM

Yes Jay the person who taught me to marbel said he has better results when marbeling over thread so thats what I did. That was the first one I have ever done I have done another since than when I get home I will post some pics of that rod

Date: September 06, 2007 07:09PM

I agree Jon. They are not the color purple that you see on the web site, but close. And my photography efforts do not do them justice.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 08:49PM

Jay, the purple wraps look good with the blank. I have a purple and a pink blank that I am building for two of my grandaughters. What is the name/number of the purple thread you used? I like the contrast. I have turned a white pearl acrylic reel seat for one of the rods, and have ordered some purple acrylic to turn for the other one.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.225.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 09:04PM

Jay the rod looks great. Yes, these are great graphite blanks, for a little more than $10 you should try one, heck two for that matter, we have sold tons. If you don' like them you can always return them. They can be found on the web page below.
[shop.mudhole.com]

To go with these blanks, try some of our colored reel seats, guides and EVA
[shop.mudhole.com]
[shop.mudhole.com]
[shop.mudhole.com]

Also, don't forget our Extreme Camo blanks, reel seats and cork
[shop.mudhole.com]

PS - Look for more economical colored blanks soon.....

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 09:40PM

That Is Beautiful! I like the forgrip detail too. How did you match the colors so well, and what is it made of?

I used a pink Mudhole blank to build a saltwater boat rod for my sister. (one of the special purchace blanks of undisclosed origin) She is a half-day boat skipper. It is a fun rod and gets fished almost every day by people with varied experience. She loves it, but we are both sad that the blank color didn't hold up. It has faded to almost white in about two months. The wraps are still like new. In all fairness though, this rod lives in the sun 7 days a week. I have been studying the posts on coloring/painting rods and plan to refinish a beat-up Seeker 196 for her using 2 stage auto paint!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 09:42PM by Bill Lane.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 10:22PM

Bill,the 2 stage is the way to go if you have the facility to do it in.I`ve done several with Glasruit auto finish with amazing results.Add some flex additive to the clear coat and it is tough as nails.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: September 06, 2007 10:48PM

Bill , the inlays are foam purchased from Wal Mart. Mike Barkley posted a photo of this material and I had to try it .
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I made a little biscuit cutter to cut out the rings.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Fran, the thread I used was Gudebrod "A" #524 Purple

Bill Lane,,I don't have the color matching talents,,,,,My wife does, she's the artist , not me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 10:59PM by Jay Hunt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster