I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom Rod Questions
Posted by: Dylan Arellano (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 12:34AM

Hi All,
I am looking to get a couple custom steelhead rods made to replace my old Series Ones.
I fish for everything from Golden Trout to Marlin and primarily use Loomis IMX & GLX for F.W. and custom calstars for salt. I would like to have all my rods custom made from now on.
In regard to blanks there is a large disparity in price between the Loomis/Sage type blanks and Blanks made by Rainshadow American Tackle etc. If I use blanks like a XST Rainshadow will there be a noticeable difference in sensitivity, weight, durability etc.?
I really like the Fuji SIC TI guides. Are there other options out there that are better and why?
Does anyone make a carbon weave trigger reel seat?
I am considering a rod built on a Rainshadow XST 1084. I would like it spiral wrapped. I will use the rod for drifting beads or Roe for winter steelhead on the American River in Sacramento. I will also throw 1/3 to 1/2 oz. spoons with it. In the near future I would like a hotshot rod and a spinning rod for float fishing.
I wouldnt say cost is no object but I dont mind paying for what I want. Any advice on blanks /components would be appreciated.
Any builders that specialize in steelhead rods please feel free to leave contact info so we can talk.
Thanks, Dylan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Rod Questions
Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2007 08:20AM

Dylan,
I move from the Sacramento valley 2 years ago. I would stop by the Fisherman’s Warehouse in Sacramento on Folsom street and ask for Alan he may be able to help you.
I think that Raymond Adams is from the Sacramento area you might check with him, look for him on this forum.

Lynn

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2007 08:39AM

www.tacklworks.org - The North American Directory of Rod and Reel Repair Persons and Custom Rod Builders.

The directory here is not necessarily filled with builders who sell rods. Those listed on Tackleworks are in the custom rod business.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 11:29AM

One blank that would be on my list also is the Lamiglas XMG50 ESH 114 2M. A little lighter than the XST, very sensitive blanks. Long enough to use with floats so you can keep it with you all the time for those spur of the moment fishing trips.
Get a lightest reel you can buy for the job whatever the blank get as it will weight as much as the whole rod and is just as important for sensitivity. I fish the magnesium Daiwas, I think they have better/more powerful drags among other things.
I don't know of any guides better that the Fuji Ti framed guides. Lighter a little, better, no way.
Never seen a carbon weave trigger realseat, I don't think it would be much of an advantage over the nylon/graphite reelseats we have today. The soft touch reelseats are very comfortable over a long day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2007 11:32AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 03:31PM

For starters check out this spec with the new tapered woven carbon Fore Grip. TICH plated frame with Blue Zirconium ring guides low profile double foot in the power zone and singel foot on up...
Description:
Rod Blank Model # XST1084
Butt cap: SBC20B
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RG14A-350
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GTBTG16C-11.5-TC
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: WFG2.5 , WFGFC , WFGRC ,WFGPB
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top LTCPUT06R04.5
1st guide from tip top LTCFUG06
2nd guide from tip top LTCFUG06
3rd guide from tip top LTCFUG06
4th guide from tip top LTCFUG06
5th guide from tip top: LTCFUG07
6th guide from tip top: LTCFUG08
7th guide from tip top: LTCUDUG08
8th guide from tip top: LTCUDUG10
9th guide from tip top: LTCUDUG10
10th guide from tip top: LTCUDUG12
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3.75-7.75-12.25-17.25-23.5-31-39-48-58.5-70.5

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 04:24PM

Hi Dylan,
Call me or email me
916-494-1838

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 12:24AM

We just finished a rod on the 1084 blank for stripers off the rocks in New England. They are very well suited for your purpose but there are several other possibilities.

But let me make a suggestion we always make to our customers:
You mentioned Loomis. When a customer does that, we tell them that if they want Loomis, then we'll build them their rod on a Loomis blank. We don't even offer to find an alternative blank. The reason is that we've had folks tell us that they wanted a rod that was "like a Loomis", sometimes even specifying the exact blank or rod model, but what's really going on is that they want a a Loomis rod but don't want to spend the money. Invariably, they are not satisfied with the substitute because it's "not as light" or "not as fast" as the Loomis. The same is true for someone who specifies that they want a rod "like a St Croix", or "a Sage" - well, you get the idea.

The reason rods built on Loomis blanks cost what they do, is that Loomis charges nearly as much for the blanks as they do for the finished rods. So, if you want a Loomis blank, we (or many others here) can build it for you. The cost, however, will be on the high end of the scale.

Now, if you really are open to something built on a non-Loomis blank, that's not to say that it won't cost almost as much, or more. Again, it depends on the cost of the blank - and some of them can be just as expensive as Loomis - and exactly what you want done.

So first decide what you REALLY want, and then go from there. It'll be a lot easier for you, and the builder you select.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: September 06, 2007 01:03AM

Hi Russ,
What I REALLY want are some unbiased opinions by rod builders on other blanks. You guys are the experts. I know that what feels good to a person is subjective. No one has answered my question- is a blank like a rainshadow comparable in key areas like sensitivity, weight and recovery after a cast to loomis, sage etc? My understanding is loomis rods have a graphite scrim while rainshadows scrim is fiberglass. Is this correct? Are there differences in performance due to this? BTW I have not really cared for the upper end off the shelf st. croix & lami rods. I know when you buy a "name" brand blank you pay alot for the name & cachet. When it comes down to it fishing rods are tools. I want the best for the application.
Dylan

Date: September 06, 2007 01:19AM

Hi Spencer,
The reason I inquired about a carbon weave reel seat is I am a bit of a tackle ho and that look appeals to me. Hey, thats what custom is about, getting exactly what you want. For reels I am partial to Shimano products, will probably put a Core or Conquest 100 on this stick.
Dylan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 01:56AM by Dylan Arellano.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 07:33AM

Can't say much about sage blanks, never used one.
But you cannot go wrong with the Batson RX8+ blanks they have a carbon scrime. Are light, fast, crisp, sensitive, great actions as good and better then anything else I've used.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 09:04AM

Dylan,
I have built many Steelhead rods on both the G. Loomis SH1084 IMX, the Rainshadow IST1084 and a few on the new Rainshadow XST1084. All three are very similar in terms of action and power. I think that the Loomis SH1084 IMX is a good blank and yes it does have graphite scrim but I have found that it is almost impossible to get one that is straight and they are a good deal more expensive.
The Rainshadow IST1084 will be very slightly heavier but straighter and more durable. The new Rainshadow XST1084 is in my judgment by far the best of the three blanks as a Steelhead rod. It also has graphite scrim but it also incorporates high modulus graphite in the butt section where the stress and strain will be low and intermediate modulus in the tip section where the stress and strain will be higher which I think is an excellent compromise. So the XST1084 will be tougher than the Loomis SH1084 IMX but not as tough as the IST1084, it will be the lightest of the three and therefore the most sensitive and will be more expensive than the IST1084 but less expensive than the Loomis SH1084. I think that makes the Rainshadow XST1084 an all around winner in terms of sensitivity, durability and price as a Steelhead rod.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 10:31AM

Dylan....Emory says it all...why not contact Karry Batson and let this man tell you all about it....If you want a straight blank keep away from Loomis...they have a bad track record on straightness

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster