I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative Wrap ?
Posted by: Tommy Peace (---.att.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 03:53PM

I read Billy's book.
As a newbie and one not crazy about reading... .It was a very easy read! It helped me a lot with the language and overall getting a better grip on some of the requirements for spacing and such.
All in All a very good book!!!
I do have a question about starting a decorative wrap. In the book it stated you "could" wrap these 1 thread at a time. Understand this takes longer and has other issues as well!
My question is this!
If you are doing a wrap of 3 colors like the St John's in the book do you start all 3 colors at once?
Do you do a wrap of the "A", then the "B", then the "C"?
Just not sure I understand how to alternate between the colors I choose? or whether you alternate at all?
Based on the reading I understand the "C" thread is the background. Just not sure how to intermingle the "pattern wrap threads" and the background threads"
also when wrapping from the bottom up and making the Cross wrap this is done with one thread?
Once up then once back down to form the "X" right? If so at the top is 1 wrap around enough to hold it in place on the tape or do several?
Sorry if these a basic/silly questions... Just can't seem to get my mind around these parts....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative Wrap ?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: September 04, 2007 04:08PM

I'm leaving work so I'm gonna give you this link and see if that clears it up: [www.visualwrap.com]

If you sit down and floow the steps & look at the pictures of a St. J's in the book, you should be able to follow your progress as you wrap. Yes, wrap A, center cross, up and down. THen B box, which will be up down, up down. Then C background box, up down up down, then go back to A.

Making the cross with 1 thread - yes up the blank, then down, will form a cross.

Questions are not silly, but I promise if you sit down and actually wrap the threads on teh blank, you'll understand a whole lot better. Once you do a wrap or 2 , if you can bring yourself to read over teh book again, a lot of the things in tehre will make a lot more sense.

Re: Decorative Wrap ?
Posted by: Tommy Peace (---.sbc.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 05:17PM

Thanks for the advice.. I enjoyed the book so reading it again won't be an issue ;) I have looked at the Web page and Yes that helps a lot...
I am finishing a rod now and once it is done I'm gonna give this a go..
I did notice that you only have tape on one end? On the end with no tape do you simply follow the pattern?
Is any tie off required on that end? Or do you wrap over it to match the opossing end where you are tying off?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster