I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carrot Stix?
Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:02AM

A golf club manuf. recently introduced a new blank to the market in July at the ICast. It is a blank that is made from the pulp of carrots with graphite. Just wondering if anyone has used this rod or blank and want some thoughts.
I'm corresponding with the company in trying to obtain the blanks, and they are nice folks, but at this time you have to buy their rod to get the blank. Yet I think I may not be the only one to ask for a blank because they have sent their blanks to some folks for feedback, and they also said blank distribution in the future is a real possibility.
I think the company has a good vision for the future with who thay have obtained on their pro-staff, plus they are luanching a commercial campaign on Outdoor Cahnnel. I am really interested in trying one of these blanks out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2007 01:03AM by Bryan Thompson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carrot Stix?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:23AM

This was mentioned here about a month or so ago, an article on this new technology was I believe promised in a future RodMaker article.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 08:20AM

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2007 08:47AM

I have two here. They are made from Curran, a biofiber made from plants. In this instance, carrots. The carbon is simply used for the core. Supposedly, the carbon really doesn't add anything to the actual power of the blank. I'll have more comments on that later.

The Currin isn't used as current carbon prepeg is in making a rod blank. These blanks are actually molded around a core. Not an extrusion or poltrusion, but molding. Frankly I'm surprised the blanks have the high stiffness to weight ratio that they seem to. How much of that is from the Curran and how much is from the carbon core is the question I have. But, if the Curran wasn't responsible, then the carbon core would simply be carrying the rest of the blank and it couldn't have a very high stiffness to weight ratio to begin with.

The main advantage to the biofiber rods is that they're said to be much more durable than any regular carbon prepeg made blank. We'll see.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.41.33.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 11:26AM

Good Morning all,
I don't think my comments are political, but rather philosophical, but Tom K may dlete this anyway. I find it absurd to convert a food into a fishing rod or a golf club. While this wondeful country produces such an excess of food that we are not only able to feed our country, we are also able to feed much of the world. Still there are places in this world where many thousands are starving each year. Particularly there are thousands of children starving. Maybe being born in the 1930s and hearing my parents admonish me to eat what was placed on my plate because the Chinese are starving affected my sensibilities. If any of you wish to discuss, denounce, or support my comments, please feel free to contact me at my e-mail address listed on this forum.

Sorry Tom.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 11:34AM

The use of plant matter for construction materials is a good thing. It is renewable and does not pollute the planet in the way that the processing and manufacturing of carbon fiber does.

I do not believe that using carrot fiber to make fishing rods is going to take food off anyone's plate.

Tom, any chance that you could bring a blank or rod to the ICRBE for us to look over?

Date: September 04, 2007 12:00PM

It is off topic and not really the type of thing I want disussed here. But I will say that Richard is right in that the use of biofibers for structural materials isn't likely to take food off anyone's plate. So put your mind at ease. The problem of world hunger isn't due to a shortage of food. There is a little more to it than that.

Those who want to comment on Mike's concerns can email him directly. Thanks.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 09:47PM

Tom,What color are the blanks?Orange?LOL

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 10:17PM

same color as carrots

Date: September 05, 2007 09:08AM

They can be dyed any color the manufacturer wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster