I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Leather disc handles like Estwing tools
Posted by: Robert Egan (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 10:25PM

Has anyone tried with any success to build rod handle from cowhide discs similar to the handles on Estwing brand carpenters hammers? With epoxy coating or good spar varnish they should be indestructable. Anyone have a source for this type of cowhide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leather disc handles like Estwing tools
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2007 10:42PM

No, but having use the hamers for years I would think it would tend be be kind of heavy especially on a rainy day when the leather soaks up the water

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 03:07AM

I think leather would be heavier than cork but you could build it on a foam arbor. Several coats of Tru Oil or some other ought to make it sufficiently water resistant if not fully waterproof for fishing. Why not give it a try and let us see the results. Knife making suppliers would be my first guess as a source. Some have been mentioned here in the past.. so run a search (use the ALL DATES option) for knife making suppies or such in the Forum Search engine and on yahoo or goog. Then there's tanners.. etc. Also try flea markets for an old baseball glove. Contact cement might be a good adhesive for the leather.
Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2007 08:49AM

I've done it and they make beautiful handles. But, they're tricky to turn. The leather will easily catch a turning tool and can be dangerous if you're not very careful.

They weigh quite a bit more than cork. That may or may not be important to you depending on the type rod you're building.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 11:35AM

Punch them close to size and then glue them up and sand them to shape. Takes longer but is much safer.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 12:52PM

Tom.... You turn them with a cutting tool? A skew?
Yeah, sounds like that could have dark clouds hanging above. Have turned some viton and epdm, which is a bit like leather in feel, and when it grabs a tool I'm real glad I'm wearing gloves and eye protection. Leather not being as homogeneous in composition, should grab even worse.

Should note that I see knife builders sand. Sounds like a much more forgiving and safe path. Very interesting tutorial I tripped over at [www.britishblades.com]
Looks like the guy seals the leather with CA as well so it doesn't wick water.

Robert,,, thanks for giving me a new thought that will likely eat up more garage space in the future. Just what I needed :-( I think it might be a nice thought for some trolling rods I have in mind now that you mentioned it. Less damage prone than EVA or Hypalon in the holders, and more tactile than the hard plastic butts.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 03:47PM

How about belt making leather? I'm sure the Flea Market Belt makers have to get there leather someplace. OR since it's yard and garage sale season, buy some old leather belts and punch out your discs. I'd think that baseball gloves would probably work but it would almost be like Birch Bark and take a ton of discs

Bill in WV

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 09:31PM

Yeh Bill,,,, they get belt blanks which are already colored and finished. Of course you need to decide if colored leather is what you want, and it so, just the surface or vat dyed..
That knife making link I put in earlier talks about the types of leather a bit. I know plain untreated and thick leather rings are available and cheap since I pick them up every now and then for my bird to tear apart. @#$%& shows a bunch of leather sources as well.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 02:58PM

This is not leather, but it might have the effect you are looking for. See this thread on another board: [flyanglersonline.com]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 05, 2007 06:49PM

Greg,
Birch bark grips are very popular and if you do a search on this site and type in birch bark, you will get tons of info. There are also a lot of pix on the photo page of birch bark grips

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2007 10:27PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 08:17PM

Indeed, some very nice work is shown in the photos of this site. Thanks for pointing that out to me, Mike.

Greg

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 05, 2007 10:28PM

Didn't know if you'd seen them or not. Birch bark grips are awesome!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster