I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bug in epoxy
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 03, 2007 11:38AM

Came home late last night and went down to check TM lite first coat that had been drying for 6 hrs. A big ol gnat was gunked up in a wrap. I removed it as best I could with a thin needle. TM was still tacky. I cleaned the edges of the wrap with denatured. Thought about starting all over on that wrap but decided to cover it with a coat of TM regular and see how it turns out. I know this has happened to a few of you...... what can I expect? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bug in epoxy
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 12:34PM

It should do fine, you may? have to take a razor and "trim down" any high spot of finish and add one more coat if it doesn't smooth out as nice as you want it too. Next time, after you remove the bug, heat that area and it will thin out and lay down the TM nicely where the bug was. You may not even have needed another coat, depending on how "set" the finish was.

DR

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.254.118.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2007 06:40PM

Build yourself a box with a clear plastic lid that contain the drying motor and rollers.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.bh.wv.cebridge.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 08:18PM

Should have just encapsulated him and charged extra for the inlay!! LOL!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:32AM

Had one on the dryer last week, second coat of Flex Coat about half set up. Happened to look over at it from the wrapping bench and there stood a fly up to his knee caps in Flex Coat rotating at 4 rpm. I dug the critter out with a pointed spatula . Picked up a glob off the foil with a dental pick and put it in the hole.
Waved the alcohol lamp across it a couple of times and it was good as new, smoothed right out. The fly had more trouble with it than I did.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 10:42PM

I had a simlar problem with my dryer which let the rod move accidently while drying The result was the felt from the rod support ended up being ground into the finish. I worked for some time to clean up the guide, but ended up cutting off the guide, cleaing the rod, and rewrapping the guide and replacing the coating.
Then, I fixed the dryer, so that the rod could never again move down the rod to ruin the finish.
Luckily it only scrubbed one guide.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster