I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cobra Handle System
Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 09:27PM

Has anyone tried out the Cobra handle system? It looks like it would be comfortable while working the line and fighting a fish. It also looks like it may be be a little cumbersome while casting and a two hand cast would be very difficult I would imagine.

Jim Hicks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cobra Handle System
Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 08:29AM

Good while fighting fish. Cumbersome to cast with. You hit that nail squarely on the head. Unless you are suffering from some form of hand or joint disability you might want to just stay with a more traditional type handle.

Date: September 03, 2007 10:34AM

Thanks. I want to try something different but I'm not a gambler; I'd like to have a reasonable expectation that it'll work for me. Perhaps I'll try one if I decide to build another flippin stick.

Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 03, 2007 12:24PM

I'm building a rod for my wife who has arthritus that makes it painful to hold on to the rod so am looking for an alternative handle too. It was recommended I do a google search on Maniform so I could see a different handle type that is more ergonomic than the standed cylinder with some bulges in it.

You may want to "google" it to see if this may be something you are interested in.

Date: September 03, 2007 02:03PM

I found the Maniform fly rod handle... [www.siestacorktiles.co.uk]
It looks like it could be adapted for a spinning rod.

I'm playing around with ideas for the handle on a heavy casting rod.
It's way too tip heavy so I'm looking for some constructive weight at the butt end.
Perhaps I should start a seperate thread... "Big Fat Butt"

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 02:45PM

Anglers Workshop, a sponsor on the left has Maniform grips here in the US, [www.anglersworkshop.com].

They are really easy on the casting hand and wrist . I built a 8 eight fly rod for a friend who has arthritus and he really likes it. I'm sure you could make it work on a casting/spinning rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2007 02:49PM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:54AM

I am in the process of building the secong casting rod for my brother using the Cobra Handle. His wrist bones are partially fused requiring him to wear a brace. The first rod was for him to try out, use it for a while to see how comfortable it will be while doing a lot of casting. The fit is perfect and very comfortable, he loves it. I had to do a little modification on the rubber grip to get his hand to fit in just right to keep his wrist in a neutral position.

Richard, You also hit the nail on the head !! They are hard to cast with. You can't imagine how difficult it is to cast with your wrist locked up straight unless you have tried it.

Will be posting some photos of the second rod when we get her finished.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster