I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

a rod for senkos
Posted by: Jeff Graves (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: August 31, 2007 10:51PM

Hi Everyone,

I was recently asked by a friend of mine if I could build him a spinning rod so he can fish Senkos for Smallmouth Bass here in Nova Scotia. I told him yes, but then I got to thinking and came to the conclusion I have not one clue as to what kind of a rod is needed for this. All I have ever built and and mostly fish are fly rods. I got some more specific information in what exactly he wants. The specs he gave me are: 6'6" long, medium action, with a good back bone. I think he likes most of the flex out towards the tip of the rod. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to a reasonable priced blank or do I need to get more info?
any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a rod for senkos
Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: August 31, 2007 11:02PM

It depends entirely on the size of senkos he fishes. If it's for the 5-7" senkos, then my suggestion would be to build a 3C68MXF as a spinning rod. If he fishes the really small 3-4" senkos, then I'd build a 3C69MLXF for the application. I fish senkos on both these rods, and they're perfect for the application, IMO. The bonus of both these blanks is that they work extremely well for lots of other baits too.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2007 11:05PM

St Croix 3C66MF

Posted by: Jeff Graves (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: August 31, 2007 11:15PM

He uses mostly the 5 inch Senkos

cheers

Jeff

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2007 11:53PM

Batson designed this blank specifically for Sinko’s I have not yet built on this blank but am in the process of ordering one, but if it is anything like their other RX8+ blanks it will be awesome!
RX8+C812
6'9"
Medium
Fast
8-14
1/4-5/8 oz.
1.85oz.
Satin Black
0.465 butt
5.5 tip
Senko Special

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2007 12:41AM

Any of the St. Croix MF blanks. Pick whichever model he can afford, lol.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2007 03:40AM

St Croix 3C66MF, I built one just for this purpose for someone, it was a SCV. The thing weighted nothing. If he is going to be throwing it under over hangs and things like that Id go with the 6ft version of this rod its alot easier to skip the senko wth the shorter rod.

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: September 01, 2007 04:57AM

This is just my opinion, but I would also ask around what type of cover he is going to be fishing the bait and if he is primarily going to be fishing it weightless (which is what I assume). I fish senkos ALOT and prefer to fish it on a 6'6" med-heavy fast rod. The rods mentioned above are what most people whould consider "perfect", but for me, they are just to light to fish around the stuff I fish around. I have no trouble whatsoever casting a weightless senko on even 17 lb. flourocarbon. Granted, it may be slightly easier to do on a medium power rod, but I have no trouble with the MH and I am able to move fish out of and away from the nasty stuff a lot better.

TJ

Posted by: al mccoll (68.178.80.---)
Date: September 01, 2007 11:38AM

Jeff,

As Steve said that C812 from Batson is a great blank, or if you are not looking at spending as much, the Batson ISB802.75, which is a Medium XtraFast. This one is a hot seller here in the midwest for smallies.

Al McColl
Midwest Rod and Reel

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 09:27AM

I fish the California Delta and Clear Lake almost every weekend and flip and pitch the Senko on 30 lb braid, my rod of choice is a 7' SC370MH, it has so far put some heavy weights in my livewell. best 5 38.4 pounds and getting ready to build another. Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster