I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Most fragile high performance blanks & your warranties?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2007 03:37AM

This question is unusual but it has a point.

I know that most blanks today are built to be suitably durable. However, in the search for high performance, some blanks are less durable than others. (i.e. Lightweight through high modulus & thin walls)

Hence the question:
1. Are there some blanks that are really pushing the durability/performance edge where the blank is less durable than most in the interest of higher performance? What are they? (i.e. Would GLX qualify?) I assume these may be some lighter powered blanks which also mean thinner walls.

2. How do you warranty rod built on these blanks knowing that you are going to get some customers that just won't be very careful? Or do you just avoid them?

I'm a nut about pushing the envelope and am wondering.....:) The primary enjoyment/drive of rodbuilding for me is to push the edge, hence my question.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Most fragile high performance blanks & your warranties?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 31, 2007 09:38AM

My answer to #2 - imo, you shouldn't be building rods for people on blanks you are not familiar with. If you are uncertain about a blank, how can you recommend it to a customer?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 31, 2007 10:27AM

The people I had that were coming back with broken rods a pushing for more performance, I taught them what I knew about it, than let them roll their own. They are doing things I never thought of and wouldn't do to one of my rods , but it's on their nickel now and they are having a ball doing it. They do catch a lot of fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2007 10:45PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: August 31, 2007 01:20PM

Spencer, care to elaborate with specific examples? I'm quite curious as what they are doing.

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2007 03:46PM

Here they are using custom GLX 844s and MH SCV for fluke rods. They are breaking them ALOT they dont seem to care this is what the pool winners are using so this is what everyone wants.

You break it I will redo it once for a small fee so as long as it does not come back looking like it got ran over by a truck.

I also explain to them before hand how delicate a GLX is and expect it to break if you dont take really really good care of it, so they dont come back claiming it was a bum blank. They know well before hand the facts about a high end blanks. I also try to talk them into a rainshadow blank alot of times or an IMX blank which in my opinion are alot more durable than a GLX or SCV.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 31, 2007 03:56PM

Henry, silly to have such a high end rod for a fish which hardly has a subtle bite. You could use GL2 or SC2 and have all teh sensitivety you need, the same weight range capability, and it MIGHT only weight 1/2oz more when completely finished. People are sheep.

I bet they blow them up either swinging fish, or smacking the guy next to them with their rod or vice versa.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2007 06:42PM

Or 5/8 oz if it is raining and the blank is wet!!! Maybe for winter flounder they have an advantage but for fluke with at the min. 2 oz of weight its a waist of a good blank.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: August 31, 2007 09:57PM

My warranty is the best one on the market! I give a 60/60. Sixty seconds or 60 feet which ever comes first :)). I use the manufactures warranty. If it was the customers fault. I rebuild at a small cost. If it was my fault or blank manufacturers. I do it for free.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 31, 2007 11:09PM

I like Billy's approach, but to compete we offer a Lifetime warranty if the customer registers the rod (we have a registration card on the rods). That's against breakage, not wear-and-tear. W ebuild the replacement cost into the price.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: September 01, 2007 02:05AM

Bob, what's 'rebuild at a small cost'. $50? $100?

Russ, what's the typical cost of your rod with replacement into the price?

Thanks,
Mo

Date: September 01, 2007 03:02AM

I build in a hidden 10% rebuild cost to the total cost of the new rod. So if I have to rebuild 2 or 3 rods a year my butt is covered. When I was in business I was building 5 or more custom rods a month. I was in business for over 20 years. I used the best materials available. My rods were not factory copy cats. They had custom grips and reelseats. Thread art was just the icing. Remember this also, I was buying at whole sale and any time I could find a good sale price I bought it. I also bought more than just one item at a time so I always had stock on hand. I used the same approach that Russ uses. I retired 7 years ago and I am still buiding rods from my shop stock. I specialized in Steelhead, Salmon and Sturgeon rods. Mo where are you located?
Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 01, 2007 01:29PM

Bob,

I'm in So. California.

Thanks,
Mo

Date: September 01, 2007 01:57PM

Mo what type of rods do you design? You may want to contack Docski. He is in S. CA. along with Mark Griffen from @#$%&.com They maybe able to figure out a warrenty program for ypur area. What type of rods do you specialize in an what blanks do you use?
Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 02, 2007 01:22AM

Thanks Bob. I'm going after UL rods. At this point, in the 'theoretical' stage concerning my question. Will contact them when needed.

Thanks,
Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster