I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Does anyone use Finish / Epoxy to 'Lock' their wraps...
Posted by: Shawn Queeney (---.arcdoors.com)
Date: August 30, 2007 05:24PM

Do any of you all use a thin coat of finsih/epoxy to 'lock' your decorative wraps down PRIOR to cutting off the tag-ends and tape, and PRIOR to puttin an actual lock onto it?

I was thinking about applying a thin coat of TM lite to my wrap PRIOR to cutting the strings away. I would then do a false 'lock wrap' which butts up to the edge of the epoxy. Then, re-coat the whole wrap with regular TM finish.

The reason I am asking is because I have trouble with gaps in my thread when I am trying to do a locking band over my decorative wraps. Color preserver doesn't help much (flexcoat). A few times I have had to do a second layer on my 'lock' just to fill the gaps and prevent the colors from shining through. Is this normal?

Pros/Cons?

Anyone?

Thanks
SQ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone use Finish / Epoxy to 'Lock' their wraps...
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: August 30, 2007 05:51PM

I've never done it but I'd be willing to bet that threadmaster would not adhere well enough to the blank and after cutting the tape away the whole wrap would come loose. Epoxy is not designed to be an adhesive. To prevent the gaps, Wrap a 1/2" or so to secure the wrap, cut your tape away, then cut the ends at different lengths and finally take a burnishing tool and start nearest your overwrap pressing against the tag ends and run the burnishing tool across the tag ends toward the end. This will loosen and fray the ends of the tag ends and create a nice sloped transition to the blank.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2007 05:53PM by Scott Youschak.

Posted by: Shawn Queeney (---.arcdoors.com)
Date: August 30, 2007 05:55PM

Scott...sounds like fraying them may work. I'll give that a shot.

I'm thinking the threadmaster will basically encapsulate the threads and not allow them to move. I was thinking about applying it, letting it cure overnight, and THEN cutting the tag ends.

Wouldn't the epoxy have the threads covered/encapsulated enough to prevent them from moving?

SQ

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: August 30, 2007 06:12PM

I use a thine coat of CP after fraring the ends.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: August 30, 2007 06:20PM

Shawn, like I said originally I've never tried this BUT I would think that the amount of tension created by the threads would be pulling on the epoxy enough to break it free. You wouldn't have a problem until you removed the tape and put the tension on the epoxy. If you have ever removed old guides, once you cut the the wrap and thread it doesn't take much effort to pull it off the blank. Plus there really is not that much penetration all the way to the blank and what you would be relying on is the bond created by the epoxy and the blank, not the threads.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 30, 2007 06:28PM

If uou're talking about putting a thin coat on the entire wrap before trimming and and then putting your tie off wrap on top of the first coat, I have done it in the past with very good results

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Carrington Tate (63.147.73.---)
Date: August 30, 2007 06:40PM

I have done it using one coat of permagloss, and have had no problems with the thread moving around.

Carrington

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2007 07:09PM

The instructions and a couple of methods for tying off butt wraps are outlined in my book, Decorative Wraps (shameless plug).

Here's a link with detailed pictures & descriptions walking you through the tie off process - refer to this while the book you ordered from one of teh Sponsors is shipping to you, lol [www.visualwrap.com]

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: August 30, 2007 10:37PM

Billy, I have not received your book yet but it seems that I have been doing most of what you described in the tutorial. I do an additional step before I begin my tie-offs. After I have decided where my tie-offs should begin, I wrapped a few turns of 1/2" masking tape very tightly just before the tie-off points to ensure security. After I have completed my tie-offs, I remove the tape and immediately and apply CP. With all my tartan wraps, I do a bleeding step with Super Classic Coat, let dry overnight, add my trims, apply one coat of TM and then do the tie-offs after 24 hrs.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: August 31, 2007 08:25AM

I use a thin coat of cp some times before cutting. I started it after Dale Clemons suggested it in his book and if theres any possiblity of movement i still use it. Espescially with closed wraps that are real tight and i had trouble packing even. We have all experienced getting the whole wrap done and begining the cut and tie off thing only to have the "Big migration" happen. This is one way to help prevent it but also Dale suggests putting a turn or two of the tie down while its still wet.so the transition to tie down is a little smoother. Can't remember if it's dale or the old issues of his club I read this but its not my idea so credit good or bad is not mine. Billy
'

Posted by: keith fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: August 31, 2007 01:58PM

I apply finish before cutting of the ends off my butt wraps once in a while, especially if I used Madeira. It works well for me. One caution I would give is that beware of the tendency for the threads to soak up the finish ahead of where you apply it. Kind of like a wicking action. So you may want to stop a 1/2" short of where you plan to put your tie downs at.

Keith

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: August 31, 2007 10:02PM

Shawn,
Please email me direct...your email addres is hidden. I have some info. for you....

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster